Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with floating point coordinates in geometry

Hello.
    I'm exporting geometry from rhino to 3dstudio.
    Sometimes in rhino a point that should have a 0 coordinate has something like -3.88578e-016
    I always thought there was no problem but when vray tries to render the exported mesh it creates strange artifacts in the rendered image.

Here's an example 3ds file:
    http://clientes.netvisao.pt/ruquita/aaaa.3ds

Is this a bug??

Any errors in the vray log?

Comment

It is a bug, yes. If you need a fix, please email me to vlado@chaosgroup.com

Best regards,
      Vlado
      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Hello.
        Thanks for the fix Vlado.
        It's working now but I lost DR thought...
        Anything I might be missing?? No firewalls enabled...
        Thanks

Comment

Do you have the same V-Ray version on the slave machines as on the main one? Also, in newer V-Ray versions, if you have the "Check for missing files" option on, render slaves will refuse to render if they cannot load some texture/irradiance map/proxy file etc.

Best regards,
          Vlado

Comment

Hi Vlado!
            Yes, I instaled the fix in all nodes in render slave mode (also tried one node with wrkstation mode but with no luck)
            I don't have "check for missing files" enabled and nevertheless I have all my maps and proxies copied to each node.
            Meanwhile I tried with a simple plane and box scene and no luck either.
            I also unistalled and reinstaled the spawner service and also tried the spawner im application mode.
            (I forgot to unisntall the service prior to instaling the fix although the instalation unistaled the previous vray version)
            Well...I'm finishing a job now so I don't have that much time to see whats wrong but it seamed strange because I have been using DR with no problems.

Comment

Hello Vlado!
              Any updates on this issue!?
              I really need DR running!!!
              Thanks

Comment

I'm afraid I don't have any updates on this as of yet. I will be turning my attention to DR this week, so if I come across anything, I will let you know.

Also, it will be helpful if you can describe the problem in a little more detail, e.g. what about the DR exactly is not working (the render slaves do not render, they render the wrong things or some other issue?)

Best regards,
                Vlado

Comment

Hi Vlado...
                  The scenne is sent to the nodes but after a while there's a warning saying the nodes are not responding...just that.
                  I have all firewalls turned off and the network is accessible.

Comment

Is there a difference in the bit-ness (32/64-bit) between the nodes and the master machine? Does it happen on any scene (e.g. a plane and a sphere) or on a specific scene only?

Best regards,
                    Vlado

Comment

Is this fixed already?!?!?

Hi Vlado!

The fix you sent me had problems with DR so I went "back to the lateste" 1.50 SP1.
                      Is this "floating point" bug going to be fixed??

Thanks

Comment

Is this bug gonne already?!?!

Hello!
                        Is this bug gonne already?? I don't think so!!...Is it?? I'm having this strange darker slotches again..
                        All nodes are 64bit só that's not the problem!
                        This is an aknowledge bug!! Is this forgotten??!!? Dificult to solve??
                        I don't think this is a "latteral bug"
                        What's the deal??
                        Thanks

Comment

I'm not sure what a latteral bug is; I will take a look at this again though. Have you tried switching to dynamic geometry? Is your scene far away from the coordinate system origin?

Best regards,
                          Vlado

Comment

Hello Vlado...
                            By lateral I mean something that was to do with some "lateral" funcionalty as opposed to core functiotnality like the hability to interpret correctly the vertex datatype wich I think is "floating point".
                            There's definetly a bug but maybe it's not so central as I thought.
                            I really don't have time to completely isolate the situation causing this but I know that it disapears if I don't use "use interpolation" in for reflection glossys.
                            Also, even with "use interpolation" it only happens when using DR
                            Thought I could isolate the issue as easy as the first post in this threath but no...
                            There's something but it seams more "lateral" now
                            By the way?? The aknowledge bug of the floating point really existed right???
                            Thanks

Comment

Working...
                            X