Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Urgent ! Flickering animation. Render farm available

Hi there,

I am getting flickers and noise after rendering out with these settings.

My scene consists of a garage with 2 cars in it. I have some objects in the
    scene that move, ie the doors and some other things. The camera sweeps
    in and looks at various things around the garage.

I have searched the forums and read Vlados tutorial on rendering
    animations with moving objects. The things is, it doesnt go into details
    about what settings to use if you have a render farm. I dont need to go
    through the composition technique because of this.

I need flicker free animations so I need to know which settings to adjust. Should I use QMC for these type of animations ?

Any help is really appeciated.

Steve
    Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

mmm

Steve, your Irradiance map is calculated per frame, not incrementally, so it's completely normal to get flickering.

Switch it to "Multiframe Incremental". If you want to split the rendering over a farm, you'll have to first render the whole Irradiance map (with the "Don't render final image" option in global swithes), and then load it.

The same thing applies to Light Cache too, there's a Fly-Through mode, especially for animation.

For better illustration, look at this tutorial:

http://www.spot3d.com/vray/help/150R...ials_imap2.htm

Comment

But I thought you can't do lightcache and irr map pre calcs if you have objects that move in the scene.

If my scene was completely static, I would be doing using that method.

I didn't want to comp on this occasion, so I just need to know if the best thing to use is maybe QMC as secondary bounce instead of LC.
      Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

with those settings, I'd say it depends on where ur getting the flickering and the relative size of the moving objects... first thing I would try would be increasing the subdivs for the LC, if it's an interior setting you can get flickering from the secondary bounces... Also check the light settings, if you have any being stored in the Irradiance Map disable this, it should help. I'd say 1000-1500 LC subdivs oughta do it. Also try and enable pre-filtering of the LC to a small value, 10~20 or so. If you have any glossy effects in the scene, try turning on "use LC for glossy rays", it should speed up the rendering a bit.

Without knowing more about the scene itself, I'd say as a last resource you should go with QMC primary GI and LC secondary.

Comment

Steve,
          You HAVE to use either Multiframe or Incrementally Add if you're doing a Irradiance animation. You will get flickering GI no questions asked. You're also using Mitchell AA which is a fairly sharp filter so you might also be getting flickering caused by AA.

You absolutely can render animations with moving objects using saved irradiance maps and light cache...you just have to do it carefully and with certain constraints. You certainly cannot have a big colorful object in the foreground moving from one side of the screen to the other because it would leave a burned GI signature all along its path. But if that GI signature is masked by another object, if the object is fairly small, if you do things like turn off 'Generate GI' for the object, you can definitely get away with moving objects in moderation. A ceiling fan spinning or trees blowing in the wind are examples of moving objects.

Of course you always can just render with QMC and not worry about animated objects at all.
          Brian Smith
          www.3dats.com
          3D Architectural Training Solutions

Comment

Working...
          X