Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Max & VRay SDK] Custom shader in VRayMtl

Hi,
    I'm writing custom shader (derived from Shader class). Is it possible to use it in VRayMtl? Right now it is visible only in Standard material in "Shader Basic Properties".

Hmm dunno if this is helpfull but look at the vraySDK help file for the MaterialInterface. maybe that will help you out.
    My Homepage : http://www.pixelstudio.nl

Comment

No,
      you have to use the VRay SDK and write a custom BRDF instead.

The math is the same though. Start with the samples.

Best regards,
      Dieter
      --------
      visit my developer blog

Comment

You cannot add a BRDF to VRayMtl itself; you have to code a new material (which you can combine with other materials using VRayBlendMtl). In the SDK for newer builds there is a sample code for a simple Blinn material.

Best regards,
        Vlado
        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Thanks for Your help.

Vlado: I have 1.5RC3 which is latest build AFAIK and I don't see any sample for Blinn material.

Comment

maybe he means newer then rc3? seems people are working with it but it's nowhere to be found thing some soft of beta or sumthing.

edit : have you looked into the Chaosgroup directory when in your program files? there are a couple of samples you could have a look at.
            My Homepage : http://www.pixelstudio.nl

Comment

Originally posted by vlado
              You cannot add a BRDF to VRayMtl itself; you have to code a new material
              It's like hunting a fly with a cannon. Some simple support for custom shaders would be nice feature in next releases of SDK.

Comment

Originally posted by lechoo
                Originally posted by vlado
                You cannot add a BRDF to VRayMtl itself; you have to code a new material
                It's like hunting a fly with a cannon. Some simple support for custom shaders would be nice feature in next releases of SDK.
                As far as V-Ray is concerned, there isn't much difference between coding a material, and a shader (a material IS a shader, after all). Being a 3ds Max plugin, your shader must still contain lots of code related to 3ds Max; the V-Ray portion of a material is typically 5 to 10% of all the code V-Ray at least provides you with an automatic UI generation for your plugins.

Best regards,
                Vlado
                I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by pixelstudio
                  edit : have you looked into the Chaosgroup directory when in your program files? there are a couple of samples you could have a look at.
                  Yes, I have, but I haven't found example for blinn material.

Comment

It's for newer builds not the RC3.

If I understand correctly, we will able to adapt this exemple to create custom shaders ? It's like a skeleton.
                    In teapots we trust.

Comment

Working...
                    X