Trying to render out a material id pass for one of our projects.,

As you can see the lines are very jagged, and not good to work with in post

My AA settings are

Adaptive subdivison -1, -3 clr thresh 0.1
    Filter: Mitchell-Netravali
    Ringing .333 Blur .333

Any Suggestions?
    [/img]

by definition the matID channel (like most compositing channels) is not anti-aliased. The coverage channel is usually used to take care of this

Comment

if it were anti aliased, when it came time to select portions of your image from their color, the AA'd portions wouldn't select properly, due to the changes in color caused by the blurring of edges where one color ends and another begins. That understandable?

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

cant resist to add some nerd lingo...it's an integer channel

For masks i'd suggest dimo's great multi matte render element (that is included with VRay core as of 1.5 Final

Regards,
        Thorsten

Comment

Originally posted by instinct
          cant resist to add some nerd lingo...it's an integer channel
          Deep-into-production Thorsten.
          Good grief.
          Lele
          Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
          ----------------------
          emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
          The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

I've set that up my mat ID pass using scanline and it generates AA'ed colors fine and selection in photoshop isn't a problem, especially since I generally render pretty large. Usually twice broadcast, just for reference.

Just my 2 cents.
            -Chippy

Comment

ah thats great, that works well.

i tried writting straight to a exr file instead of an vray img file and including all the elements when I open it up in photoshop none of the layers are there, is what im doing supposed to work ?

When i open in the exr in max and get the info i see all the channels but cant access them

Comment

Photoshop doesnt support layers in EXRs, so you're doing it right, it's PS that does it wrong.

Regards,
                Thorsten

Comment

any chance cs3 does?

I did actually find this

http://www.fnordware.com/ProEXR/

Seems that may come in handy!

Comment

In my limited testing proexr does not recognize the channels. I am not sure if the PS plugin works with the channel remapping file that comes with the install. I suspect the text file is only for the orphchannels (or whatever it was called) plugin that works in AE.
                    Eric Boer
                    Dev

Comment

so whats the easiest way to extra the channels from the exr, or should i just save to vrimg and take the channels from there?

Comment

Working...
                      X