No announcement yet.

1.5 DR bug?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Start -> Programs -> Chaos Group -> V-Ray Adv for 3dsmax -> Distributed rendering -> Administration -> Register V-Ray spawner service. Just click this on each of your slaves. You won't need it on the PC you use.

With the way we have our network setup, I can use the DR machines without anyone even being logged in. As long as the comptuer is on...I'm good to go. Pretty sweet.

Comment

ok, i shall try. And I can delete the link to the short cut from the startup menu?

Comment

Yeah, you won't need that anymore.

Comment

well, its getting more and more weird!! I have the spawner running as a service on the machine next to me, and when I render with it, it loads the file(I should explain I am using an empty scene with only lights in, and xref the geom in from another file) and render the scene empty.

I am assuming this is a problem with xref's and using DR as a service?

Comment

Are you using UNC pathing? \\servername\foldername\filename.max

Comment

Yes I believe so. It works fine when I start the DR prog myself, just not when its a service.

Comment

Could be permissions on the local account... http://www.chaosgroup.com/forum/phpB...ce+permissions
                www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

yes that could be it, but I have no idea what they are talking about so ill have to leave that!!

edit:
                  I have now got one machine to work using the service, and correct permissions!

However, It seems the user the machine logs on with must have a password? I have got my slaves with no login. Ill have to try it on them and see what happens.

Comment

I have it working on one machine, but the machine next to it stops working after about 4/5 renders. If I kill the 3dsmax process but not the spawner itself, it then starts a new 3dsmax process and renders again for 4/5 times.

Very weird. I think it must be a network problem or dare I say it a bug in DR spawner.

The funny thing is its not consistent on all machines. ie one machine has render with DR all day, one stops working after 5 renders, one stops after 6!!! Something must be coursing it on some now others.

Comment

Originally posted by m_hinks
                      I have it working on one machine, but the machine next to it stops working after about 4/5 renders. If I kill the 3dsmax process but not the spawner itself, it then starts a new 3dsmax process and renders again for 4/5 times.

Very weird. I think it must be a network problem or dare I say it a bug in DR spawner.

The funny thing is its not consistent on all machines. ie one machine has render with DR all day, one stops working after 5 renders, one stops after 6!!! Something must be coursing it on some now others.
                      You should check drive connections, for some reason logged in services will lose the share connectivity occasionally for no apparent reason. We run another service that checks routinely if the shares are connected and tries to reconnect them if they have dropped...
                      Eric Boer
                      Dev

Comment

I like the sound of that, it does seem like it could be the reason. I wonder, what program could i use to check the connections? What do you use?

Comment

Originally posted by m_hinks
                          I like the sound of that, it does seem like it could be the reason. I wonder, what program could i use to check the connections? What do you use?
                          It's a custom script our IT guy wrote, dunno what else might be available.
                          Eric Boer
                          Dev

Comment

doh, ok, ill have to have a search. I have no IT guy to script for me!!

Comment

Working...
                            X