vray proxy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vray proxy?

I have a plan that is about 175 megs now...So I exported all the xfrog trees and mesh out and xreffed them in.....Then I took it a step further and xreffed in the same plan...BUT I converted all the geometry to vray proxy then xreffed it in... The light cache is taking forever...about 25 minutes now....before I had the geometry in there it took a little while to build the static geometry accelerator thingy or thereof... Am I going aboit it wrong...When does one start to use proxies... It says I have 55 minutes left on the light cache.... Before it was presampling displacement and that was taking four lifetimes....But I turned that off in the Global switches...

My ram is only at

P:1747.8M and the computer is running great....no crunching at all...

Thanx all....If only I had my 360 here..
    Eric Camper
    Studio 3D
    www.dbfinc.com/studio3d

When you say that you exported all the geometry to proxy, did you just grab it all and export it all at once? For trees I'd think that it'd be advisable to proxy out each unique mesh, and then instance copies of it around the model.

Comment

DOH...that's what I did...I alreay had them placed everywhere...so I just grabbed everything and BAM...proxy...hehe......was that wrong? Should I not have done that?
      Eric Camper
      Studio 3D
      www.dbfinc.com/studio3d

Comment

Heh. Yeah, it kinda defeats the purpose. Instead of just loading in one tree for each unique mesh, it's going to try and load everything.

Comment

hahah doing it as one big chunk totally defeats the purposes.. haha uses more memory and renders dog slow.

Its best to re-plan your proxy use first, or ideally if you have plenty of free memory just dont proxy at all (as lower memory usage us their main benefit)

But if you were to do it properly as sea2stars said, take each unique tree.. proxy that.. then instance it around your scene.

As if you have one big proxy of all your trees, as soon as the first bucket hits it it has to load the whole thing into memory. = SLOW

Comment

>>.....was that wrong? Should I not have done that?

I gotta plead ignorance on this one because if I knew that sorta thing was frowned upon...
            "A severed foot would make the ultimate stocking stuffer"
            -Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Originally posted by powerandrubber
              >>.....was that wrong? Should I not have done that?

I gotta plead ignorance on this one because if I knew that sorta thing was frowned upon...
              "What's that red dot" LOL
              Eric Camper
              Studio 3D
              www.dbfinc.com/studio3d

Comment

Working...
              X