No announcement yet.

could this problem really be VRAY?!?!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• could this problem really be VRAY?!?!?!

i have just recently installed 1.5000 in max 8. i have also just recently been experiencing a very odd bug - when i'm working in inches, every time i enter a numeric value that is a multiple of 12, the number subtracts 12!

say for example, i'm entering the coordinates of a box: if i enter 12", it jumps to 0"; if i enter 24" it jumps to 12" (and displays 0); if i enter 36" it jumps to 24" (and displays 12")
    this same thing is happening when i enter values for UVW maps, basically any time i keyboard enter a multiple of 12.

i uninstalled and reinstalled max and the bug disappeared. then i re-installed vray 1.5000, and it came back. what the F$^&*???

i checked this bug on another machine running vray as a slave, and no problem.

can someone else who is using the same system please try this? it's max 8 SP3, vray 1.5000 workstation; system unit setup is inches, display unit scale is feet w/ fractional inches.

i feel like i'm taking crazy pills!

You can try to take the file libmmd.dll file in the root folder of 3ds Max from the original 3ds Max installation and replace the one installed by V-Ray; if this does not solve the issue, then it is not related to V-Ray at all.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

well, i have done the un-install / re-install 3 times now, and only when i install vray 1.500 does the problem begin to appear. i can only conclude that it is something related to vray.
      i have found a workaround by making a backup of these original files:

3dsmax.exe
      3dsmax.ini
      libmmd.dll

and overwriting them in the root folder after installing vray.
      vlado, i tried what you suggested, but it didn't fix the problem. it has to be something maybe in the .ini file? i really don't know much about the technical side of these things, but as long as i can get it to work...
      has anyone else tried to re-create the problem i described? am i really the only person out here who has been able to generate this bug on command?

Comment

I have the same issue while working in feet with decimal inches. If i type 1'0" it changes to 0'0" but if i type 1'1" it does not change. I tried changing to inches and it does the same thing. 12" changes to 0" and 24" changes to 12" but 25" does not change. I could never figure out why this was happening and thought I was the only one.

I have not tried with v-ray uninstalled to see if the problem was actually coming from v-ray though. Although my problem came about back when using 1.49 and persists with 1.5.00. My machine is also the only one at work affected by this as well. So strange...

I will try your work around and see if that does anything for me.

Comment

dude - THANK YOU!!!!!! at least i haven't gone totally kafka here!

try something else - try applying a UVW map to an object, and set its dimension to 12"/12"/12". does it bounce back to 0? for me it happens any time i type in 12" or a multiple of 12".

i have spent the entire morning trying to solve this problem and unfortunately, my workaround doesn't seem to really be working. after installing vray and overwriting those files, i found that i could not select any object in the scene by clicking on it. the keyboard commands worked and i could select by list, but my mouse just wouldn't pick anything. so that didn't really help me.

i am totally back to square 1. i just re-installed max, and installed vray 1.47. everything worked fine. i then installed 1.5000, opened the same scene, everything worked fine. closed max. opened a new empty file, SAME PROBLEM. and now when i go back and open the scene that was working 5 minutes ago, SAME PROBLEM!! what the F#@?

if i figure anything out i will let you know. otherwise i guess i'll just have to tell my clients that they can't build anything with a dimension of 1' anymore.

Comment

Unfortunately, as far as I am aware, nothing in V-Ray can possibly cause this behaviour; the only common files that V-Ray has with 3ds Max is the libmmd.dll file - apparently the problem is not there though.

I guess you can try to not load the V-Ray plugin and see if this makes things any better; if the problem persists, then it is not V-Ray related.

Best regards,
            Vlado

Comment

i just went back and re-installed vray 1.47 and the problem is gone.

i also just asked a colleague of mine using vray 1.5000 to try creating a 12" box and he experienced the same problem.

THIS HAS TO BE A VRAY 1.5000 RELATED PROBLEM.

will someone at chaos please take 3 minutes and try to recreate what i have described in this thread?

Comment

It's defintely NOT a 1.5 issue, I had this problem quite a while before 1.5 (http://www.chaosgroup.com/forum/phpB...spinner#147202) and since then I've upgraded to Max 9 and I still see the occasional weird spinner but for the most part it's resolved itself. I still have no idea what the was/is though.
                www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

I certainly tried. I could not reproduce this - if I enter 12", I get a correct display value of 1'0"; if I enter 24", I get 2'0"

Best regards,
                  Vlado

Comment

vlado - you raise an interesting point. i set the rendering engine to scanline and the problem still persists.

however, i am absolutely convinced that this is a vray related bug. again, i will describe the processes i have used to try to eliminate the problem:

- completely uninstall all traces of max and vray from my system
                    - install max 8, test and works OK
                    - install SP3, test and works OK
                    - install realDWG, test and works OK
                    - install vray 1.47, test and works OK; open offending scene, test and works OK
                    - install vray 1.5000, test and BUG APPEARS.
                    - set render engine to scanline, BUG PERSISTS
                    - re-install vray 1.47, BUG IS GONE
                    - re-install vray 1.5000, BUG REAPPEARS

the only consistent thing in my various tests is that as soon as i install vray 1.5000, the bug appears and i can not get rid of it until i uninstall vray 1.5000.

i don't know why, i don't know how, but there is no way you can convince me that this isn't somehow related to vray 1.5000. please try it yourself.

Comment

OK - i'm sorry to be a pest about this. thank you for trying. i really don't understand the inner workings of software, etc. but i have been using max for 10 years and never saw this problem until using vray 1.5.

just to double check vlado - are you running max 8?

as stated earlier in this thread, another user started experiencing this problem with 1.49. i never upgraded to any of the RC's or 1.49, just directly from 1.47, so i don't know if this problem might have existed in previous releases.

i will shut up now.

Comment

I'm not saying that there is not some kind of issue; however at this time I am unable to reproduce this on my laptop with max8 and V-Ray 1.5. I can try this on different machines when I get to the office tomorrow.

Best regards,
                        Vlado

Comment

So I could get this to happen on one of the machines here... I'm looking into it.

Best regards,
                          Vlado

Comment

thank you very much for your persistence!! i will eagerly await your results. for now i have reverted back to using 1.47.

Comment

We have experienced this problem in the past.... long before 1.5 came out and nothing I can reliably reproduce. I believe we only saw it on Max 8, but I could be wrong.

Comment

Working...
                              X