Vray Proxy Path

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray Proxy Path

Is there a script or tool available to change the path for multiple proxies in a scene. This is quite usefull when moving a file to a different pc where the proxies are not on a shared network path.
    Max 8 SP3
    V-Ray 1.5 SP2
    WinXP SP3
    Dual Xeon 3.4GHz
    2GB RAM

With the 1.5 final, you can use the 3ds Max asset tracker to do that.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Thanks Vlado.

Always knew there must be a reason and a day that I will start using Asset Tracker and that day has come.
      Max 8 SP3
      V-Ray 1.5 SP2
      WinXP SP3
      Dual Xeon 3.4GHz
      2GB RAM

Comment

there's also a script i prepared (in the scriptpack) that collects the whole scene to a folder, optionally changing paths and saving a new version, so to leave the previous scene intact.
        It will collect vray hdri maps and standard bitmaps, along with IES profiles and proxies.
        Lele
        Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
        ----------------------
        emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
        The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Thanks Lele

The way I have my setup at the moment is like this. I have a library of materials, maps and proxies on my local C: drive at work. (It's not on the network, because our office network is more down than up) I use an external 120GB USB drive to do a sync copy of the local library and projects on a daily basis and sync that with my library at home.

At home I have a slightly different setup so that my library is not on the C: drive but on E:. If I open a scene at home that was created on the office pc the paths are obviously wrong and I then use as a first step the Bitmap/Photometric Paths tool to strip the paths and reassign them. This works perfect except for the vray proxies, which is why I was looking a t a similar tool to the Edit Resources tool that will reassign the paths as well.

If there's a smarter way of doing this then I'm keen to hear.

Cheers
          Max 8 SP3
          V-Ray 1.5 SP2
          WinXP SP3
          Dual Xeon 3.4GHz
          2GB RAM

Comment

What you could do on your work computer is:

Share the C drive and then map a new network drive to your own C drive and assign the drive letter as "E" drive.

And then everything can be mapped through E drive (which is actually your C Drive at work) so when you open it at home you won't have to re-map everything.

You can also do some other tricky things such as sharing just a folder and then maping a network drive to that folder, rather than the whole C drive.

Of course this does not work if you already have a E drive at work.

Cheers

Comment

Thanks Bob-cat

That's an interesting idea. I can try that as a drive W The rest are occupied. I would just need to do that for all the pc's running DR as well..
              Max 8 SP3
              V-Ray 1.5 SP2
              WinXP SP3
              Dual Xeon 3.4GHz
              2GB RAM

Comment

guys, network maped drives or folders ain t such a great ideia imo. Unless ofcourse u want to lose ur maps and baked gi paths when trying to acess it via DR slaves

just mapped all ur resources UNC (ex. \\Server\librarie\maps\map.jpg) and u ll be fail proof(er)
                even if u go back an forth (house-office), just use asset tracking to change ur paths, i do it myself. Though i make a copy of the used maps and proxys to my project folder and when swithing paths it makes life somewhat easier
                Nuno de Castro

www.ene-digital.com
                nuno@ene-digital.com
                00351 917593145

Comment

Ene-xis: The problem is that our office network is too slow and buggy to put the maps on a networked path...

The essence of the problem is that the maps are on the local drive of both work and home pc's, but with different drive letters. At the office all three machines used for DR has the maps on the local C: drive. At home it's also local but drive E:.

I had a look at the Asset Tracker, but the option to set the path for Vray Proxies is not available so it's not quite working for me yet. It is available for all other maps.
                  Max 8 SP3
                  V-Ray 1.5 SP2
                  WinXP SP3
                  Dual Xeon 3.4GHz
                  2GB RAM

Comment

When you collect with the script, everything goes into the collection folder, automatically making every asset accessible, whatever the path (max will search in the max file folder when it can't find something).
                    While this will lead to multiple copies, and it's less than ideal on a networked environment, it is ideal to bring stuff back home for further refinement
                    Follow my tag to grab the script pack, it's all on scriptspot.
                    Lele
                    Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
                    ----------------------
                    emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
                    The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

yeap!
                      what lele said.
                      this way u can keep the collected folder on the disk C on every single computer and won t need to re-map proxys nor maps when going back and forth!
                      Nuno de Castro

www.ene-digital.com
                      nuno@ene-digital.com
                      00351 917593145

Comment

Working...
                      X