X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question about memory

Vista 32, 3,2GB ram, Max2008, vray 1.5SP1

Hi there,
    In past versions, I often had memory problems, especially with displacement and million poly scenes. Now, with SP1 I face the following problem:
    I am working on a scene with 10 houses, grass and many plants. When I began working on that scene, the first test renders showed that max used both Physical and Virtual memory. Since I use vrmesh for the trees, I decided to go Dynamic on memory usage, just to be sure it won't crash. But then, as I added more houses and plants, as well as Vrayfur for grass, from specific moment and onwards, I suddendly realized that when I ran test renders, only Physical memory was used. It peaks at around 1,3Gb and I have the fear it is going to crash as I add more vrmesh trees. Before, physical memory usage reached a 800-900 MB ceiling, with virtual memory doing its trick. I do not mind the slower render times, how can I bring back the virtual memory usage?

IR/LC used
    Attached Files

I don't think this is really a problem; physical versus virtual memory is handled by the operating system, so if it has decided that it can keep everything in the physical RAM rather than swapping to the hard-drive, the OS probably had its reasons... nevertheless, you can check the size of your swap file and make sure it is 4 GB.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Working...
    X