setup:
    multiframe incremental or incremental add to current map
    10 dr render stations
    rendering localy or through bb
    complex scene or a simple scene with a bunch of teapots
    nth - every 10 frames
    don't render final
    vray animated camera or just a still perspective view

the first several frames render out successfully, but after 3-6 frames the render stations stop working.

Does anyone have any ideas why this may be happening or how i can go about solving it?

...gregory

This is becoming a common problem. See all the posts above this one about DR spanners failing.
    www.studio2a.co

Comment

The incremental modes of the irradiance map are not supported in DR mode (they have never been).

Best regards,
      Vlado
      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
        The incremental modes of the irradiance map are not supported in DR mode (they have never been).
        none of them are? I'm pretty sure i used to do this in the prior version.

Assuming so, what is the suggested work flow for the following situation.
        • Only every 10 or 30 frames are needed to generate the vrmap
        • I have 40 computers available
        • I have two individual license of vray
        • I have an animation that is 2000 frames long

In the past i would have:
        1) used DR with multiframe inc to generate 1 vrmap
        2) then use that vrmap to generate each frame through backburner (no DR).

------

It seems that now I will need to:
        1) Generate individual vrmaps (every 10 or 30 frames) via backburner (no DR)
        2) Create a script that combines together these vrmaps (via irradiance map viewer). I have gotten this to kind of work
        2) then launch that script via maxscript from bb job that is dependant on the individual vrmaps being done.

???? or is there a better way?

...gregory

(thanks for your help)

Comment

Just use multiframe incremental with DR unchecked rendering every 20 frames or so depending on your scene and camera path. Since after the first frame it's only calc'ing the changes to the map it'll actually go quite quickly. If you're using LC as your secondary set it to flythrough and change the subdivisions to account for the increase in visible area from the moving camera (I usually change to world scale rather than screen but this will depend on your scene).

Once this is done point the irrad. map to the saved vrmap and render your frames using BB and no DR.
          Last edited by dlparisi; 03-12-2007, 12:53 PM.
          www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

Originally posted by dlparisi View Post
            Just use multiframe incremental with DR unchecked rendering every 20 frames or so depending on your scene and camera path. Since after the first frame it's only calc'ing the changes to the map it'll actually go quite quickly. If you're using LC as your secondary set it to flythrough and change the subdivisions to account for the increase in visible area from the moving camera (I usually change to world scale rather than screen but this will depend on your scene).

Once this is done point the irrad. map to the saved vrmap and render your frames using BB and no DR.
            Trying this now.

Questions

1) The rendering is a typical office lobby/ corridodor about 140ft x 20ft x 2 story high . What LC subdiv would you start with?

2) I have never used LC before. I was using Irr/bf. I assume i should also save and use from file the LC file. Correct?

...gregory

Comment

add'l question

assuming i get this method to work, it can be initiated from BB and the ind. frames added as a second (dependant) bb job. Correct?

...gregory

Comment

Hard to say what a good LC number is but I'd guess soewhere in the 1500-2000 range. I never really understood what a good number is for this or how to determine it although you'll start to notice it if it's too low. Maybe someone else???

Correct about saving the LC. Set to autosave and switch to save map.

I haven't tried it but you should be able to start the first job as a BB job but only set it to use 1 machine. The dependent job should be fine as well as long as you set the "from file" names to the correct names (and use only UNC drive paths).
                www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

Originally posted by dlparisi View Post
                  Hard to say what a good LC number is but I'd guess soewhere in the 1500-2000 range. I never really understood what a good number is for this or how to determine it although you'll start to notice it if it's too low. Maybe someone else???

Correct about saving the LC. Set to autosave and switch to save map.

I haven't tried it but you should be able to start the first job as a BB job but only set it to use 1 machine. The dependent job should be fine as well as long as you set the "from file" names to the correct names (and use only UNC drive paths).
                  thanks dlparisi

...gregory

Comment

Working...
                  X