very strange

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• very strange

i just had some time installing sp1, but when open a file i have been using lately, max crashes. the polycount for the scene is 3mill when sp1 isn't installed.. after install of sp1, the scene boosted to 12mill.. whats happening here?

For the crashing, it will probably go away if you switch to OpenGL viewports and then open your scene, then disable the "Show map in viewport" option for any V-Ray materials (there is a small script for this that was posted here for this) and then save your scene.

For the polygon count, this may happen if you have V-Ray proxies in the scene. The viewport polygon count in 3ds Max 9 is not the actual polygon count in your scene, just the number of triangles displayed for the viewport. Since for the 1.5 version and the sp1, the triangles in the preview of the proxies (not the actual proxy geometry) is also added to this count.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Didn't wanted to start a new thread for this one, so if its hijacking, than sorry.

We're having the same problem here, max crashes, but not when opening, but when rendering. Older projects done with 1.5 tend to crash, mostly those having displacement. No problem with project already started in SP1. So, is there anything one should know when migrating to SP1 or the crashing should be considered as upgrading casualty?

Best regards,

A.
      credit for avatar goes here

Comment

there aren't any proxies, but a dreamscape seasurface.. could that be the troublemaker.. hm..?

Comment

Yeah, the Dreamscape thingy looks suspicious, does it work if you remove this?

Best regards,
          Vlado

Comment

yep, it looks like the dreamscape causing the high polycount.. but the file still crashes.. i narrow it down to two objects, which we have gotten from outside sources.. the objects loads (merge), but when i zoom extents them, max crashes... this does not happen with the sp1 not intstalled.. hm.. when i assign a vray gray material, it doesn't crash..
            vlado: i'm sending the file to you.. check your mail..
            Last edited by aphex79; 12-12-2007, 07:52 AM.

Comment

Yep, I got it and I replied; let me know what happens.

Best regards,
              Vlado

Comment

Working...
              X