Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Funny slow down thing happening with Vray

Hi all

I am having a problem with vray, after selecting vray as the renderer and using it for no set amount of time my machine seams to slow down. Its mainly like a slowdown of the graphics card lagging as if you monitor has a really slow re-fresh rate.

This seems to happen with vray on its own or DR, Its fine if I just render with scanline or MR, I’m starting to think that its something to do with accessing the USB dongle? The only way to solve this is to restart, I am pretty sure its not a hardware problem as the mem, cpu..... statues are all fine.

It also happens with mega simple scenes.

Any ideas?

vray adv 150SP1 with dongle max 9 x64 Vista
    Simon Askham - http://www.supercreative3d.com Rendering with Threadripper 2990WX Asus Prime X399 36GB DDR4

It might be because once you hit render, 3dsmax loads all of the bitmaps in memory. If this is the case you can clear all that memory in 3dsmax, by opening the listener window Maxscript->Listener

and typing the following commands,

gc()
    freeSceneBitmaps()

That will free up those resources if that's the case.
    Colin Senner

Comment

Thanks Moon Dog I will give it a try but I think think that its using up too much memory.
      Simon Askham - http://www.supercreative3d.com Rendering with Threadripper 2990WX Asus Prime X399 36GB DDR4

Comment

It should not be related to the dongle itself, because V-Ray as a renderer does not access the dongle directly; it only talks to the license server.

Best regards,
        Vlado
        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

I have slowdowns on my machine as well, but it isn't till I render; at which point max loads all the bitmaps in the scene in memory and once it's finished my machine starts to chug. It is because those bitmaps are in memory. The command freescenebitmaps() will force max to release the bitmaps, allowing me to correctly navigate the viewport again.

If the problem happens even when you haven't rendered, it is something else.

Best of luck, I sure hope it's as simple as this solution.
          Colin
          Colin Senner

Comment

Working...
          X