Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long Render Times

Hello all,

I’m not sure if this is a problem but I need to confirm it. I’m rendering a simple interior walk through and I’m experiencing extreme render times. Please see the attached file. As you can see, this is a simple scene, however, at 640 x 360, each frame is taking 1hr 45min to render and this is on a dual Zeon Quad core system. I even had to remove the glossy reflections from the wood work because the render time would be even longer. You can also see my render settings are pretty moderate and my AA settings are petty low. I think one of the things that are killing the render times is the “Sub Pixel mapping” and “Clamp Output” is checked. If I do not check these boxes I get a highlight flickering on some of the glossy reflections. BTW, where did the flickering come from? I never had this problem on earlier versions of Vray.

I’m using Max 8 with RC4

Any suggestions or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott.

Setting here: www.drealm.net/Projects/Vray/settings.jpg

You appear to be rendering an irradiance map for each frame?

If so, thats your problem. Precalculate it. I tend to use 'high' preset at 2/3rds resolution every 30 frames, and change your lookup back to density based. It'll take a while to calculate, but the actual rendering of frames will be a hell of a lot faster (and better looking)

Also, try adaptive QMC at 1,6 and turn your AA filter off. As far as i knew, I didnt think clamp output/sub pixel changed the render times any noticable amount.
    Last edited by Neilg; 17-12-2007, 08:55 AM.

Comment

[QUOTE=cubiclegangster;359744]You appear to be rendering an irradiance map for each frame?

Thanks for the reply, however, could you please point out where you see the IR map is being calculated every frame? The setting is “From File”. It’s pulling a pre-calculated IR map from a file, unless I'm missing something.

In the mean time, I will play with the AA settings.

Thank you.

Comment

Sorry, it was an assumption - You dont show that part on your settings, and if youre using the animation settings theyre for when you have moving objects and render the IRmap every frame. If it is from file, you should just be using 'medium'

Simply changing it to that may help, whats your other IRmap mode? If its QMC your long render times may be due to the IRmap not covering enough space. If it tries to render a section with no/little IRmap information, the QMC sampler has to compensate (and so takes a really, really long time to render)
        Last edited by Neilg; 17-12-2007, 10:03 AM.

Comment

Simply changing it to that may help, whats your other IRmap mode? If its QMC your long render times may be due to the IRmap not covering enough space. If it tries to render a section with no/little IRmap information, the QMC sampler has to compensate (and so takes a really, really long time to render)[/QUOTE]

Second bounce is set to LC. I changed the AA settings to your suggestion and I did get a speed increase. Now the frames are at 30min but it seems we can squeeze a bit more out of this. Perhaps it's wishful thinking.

Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
          X