CPU showing 25% usage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CPU showing 25% usage

I'm not sure if this is a problem but when I am rendering my task manager is only showing 1 processor working at 100% and the others aren't registring at all but in the render window 4 buckets are showing. I have a Dual P4 Xeon rinning XP 32.

Thanks
    Mark

do you have displacement?

---------------------------------------------------
    MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
    stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

Nope, I'm only using bump maps for this image!!

Comment

Have you got multi-threading turned on?
        Dan Brew

Comment

Hi Daniel,

I have got multi threaded selected. I thought it was as I'm rendering with 4 buckets.

Comment

At what point are you seeing this.. is it by any chance during the LC calculation stage? if so make sure you have passes set to 4.

It could just be a bug in windows thats not showing your cpu usage properly althought unlikely.

To test do a simple quick render.. and note the time, then go into the task manager, right click on the 3dsmax.exe process and choose set affinity and then untick all but 1 cpu, then do the render again. If its much slower then windows just isnt displaying your cpu usage properly for some reason.

Comment

Thanks for the replies everyone,

After rebooting the problem is solved, turns out my IT department did a windows update overnight and I didn't get a reboot message. After rebooting the render times are cut in half and all CPU's show 100%.

Thanks for your help.

Mark

Comment

Working...
              X