X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• autosave and vray - light cache

3dsMax 9
    sp2

I hit render and while it's calculating the light cache, max tries to auto-save and gets stuck in a never-ending building of the light cache and never ending auto-save.

This is annoying and happens only once in awhile, but some of those times, lots of work is lost so I'm wondering if this can be avoided without disabling losing auto save.

It seems independent of auto-save's time settings, just happens sometimes. Also seems independent of scene and render settings.
    I know there's probably no solution, but thought it was worth asking.

Thanks a bunch,
    JR

Hm, V-Ray tries to disable the auto-save feature of 3ds Max when the rendering begins. However I know that there were some changes in 3ds Max itself regarding this functionality so maybe something got broken...

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Too bad, oh well, maybe time to update... Thanks for the info Vlado.

JR

Comment

Is this fixed or still alive?

I have a this problem so often with vray 1.5sp4.

How can I fix it?
        :: twitter :: Portfolio :: My 3D Products :: ...and ::

Comment

same here but not only with the autosave : when rendering with DR when VRay save the file before starting the rendering it occasionaly bugs and say file saved is corrupted, "do you want to retry"...
          If you choose cancel then VRay compute the lightcache forever with no CPU use.
          If you choose retry, then its the same : file is corrupted.

Comment

We run in to this every day. Very annoying... max 2010 - sp4.

Any updates on this problem? Is there a fix for it?

Comment

I still encounter this from time to time. Also the stuff n6 has mentioned, it really has wasted many hours of work, too!
              Last edited by voltron7; 31-03-2010, 07:23 AM. Reason: grammar

Comment

Yes, this should be better for the next update (we are using a more reliable way to disable the autobackup feature during rendering).

Best regards,
                Vlado

Comment

Hi Vlado,

I was wondering if this was fixed in the sp5 release. I missed it in the release notes
                  Nils Poetoehena
                  3D Visualiser
                  www.demanufacture.org
                  www.gielissen.com

Comment

So far it has not happened to me yet, but I would also like to know if it was fixed for SP5, please?
                    Thanks

Comment

For some cases it should be better; now auto-save is disabled before the scene is saved for DR, so this part should be better.

Best regards,
                      Vlado

Comment

I'm still getting this problem I'm afraid.... sp5 max2011
                        Patrick Macdonald
                        Lighting TD : http://reformstudios.com Developer of "Mission Control", the spreadsheet editor for 3ds Max http://reformstudios.com/mission-control-for-3ds-max/

Comment

Yep, like I said it was fixed for some cases only; we still need to figure out what exactly re-enables auto-save after V-Ray disables it. It would very helpful if you can get us a scene for this to vlado@chaosgroup.com

Best regards,
                          Vlado

Comment

This happened to me few times too. Rarely... But when it happens it is big damage.
                            If it happens again, I will send you the secene. But it happens only from time to time.
                            I can't name a specific pattern that it happens. Looks like it happens so random.
                            for my blog and tutorials:
                            www.alfasmyrna.com

Comment

I encounter this problem almost every day. Extremely annoying... sp5, 3ds max2011design

Comment

Working...
                              X