Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with Vista x64 und Vray-Proxies - fps drop dramatically

Hello vray-fellows,

I am just trying out to switch to Windows Vista x64 - so even with 3dsmax-32bit you have 1GB more for renderings ... not to speak about using max-64bit ...

Everything works as fine as crazy Vista can be to me ... ... but I have a serious problem with Vray-Proxies:

When I create a Vray-Proxy from a High-Poly-Object (like an onyxtree), the frames per second drop from 500 fps to 50 fps ... when you then copy i.e. 100 of this trees (as instances), the fps drops "linear" to under 0,5 fps. This is an extra decrease to the already reduced viewport fps under vista from ~15%.

Since this really slows 3dsmax down so far that any kind of workflow is killed - this really hinders me to switch finally to vista.

Is there anybody who has an idea how to solve this problem?

Thanks for any help,

chris.ko

My hard-/software:

ASUS P5W64 WS prof - intel Q6600 - 8GB-RAM - Nvidia 8800 GTX (forceware 175.16)
    Windows XP SP3 & Windows Vista Business x64 - 3ds-max 9 SP2 - vray 1.5 SP2 (WIBU-keyed)
    Last edited by chris.ko; 16-05-2008, 01:35 AM. Reason: more information

try to display the proxies as points
    Kind Regards,
    Morne

Comment

good one ...

Thanks for this remark ...

I already know and tried this ... and it works (as point or cube) - but with this I don´t see the reduced mesh and don´t have a grip of the look-like of the scene!

... and if you work with many, many proxies and you switch them from "bounding box/point" to "preview from file" (as the reduced mesh) once, the scene crashes!
      Any more help out there.

Chris.Ko

P.S.: All this happens only under Windows Vista (in my case x64) ... with windows XP SP2 everything works fine
      Last edited by chris.ko; 14-05-2008, 08:47 AM. Reason: P.S.S added

Comment

some more tests ... fps drop with vray-proxies

Hello vellows,

one more point:

testing fps with vray-proxies under windows XP, there is ALSO a drop in fps! But not as dramatically then with vista - the fps drops about ~20%.

Just more information for some more help ...

Chris.Ko

Comment

I have to try and reproduce this here to see if I can reproduce the issue; have you tried it in 3ds Max 2008?

Best regards,
          Vlado
          I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

fps drop with vray-proxies ... max 2008

Hello Vlado,

it took me some time to install max-2008 ... now the test results:

- single tube (80´ polys): 340 fps as max-objects -> 50 fps as vrmesh

- 10 tubes (800´ polys): 270 fps as max-objects -> 9.5 fps as vrmesh

- 20 tubes (1600´ polys): 100 fps as max-objects -> 3 fps as vrmesh

I use direct3D 9.0 - so it take some seconds to load the mesh into the grafik-ram - but then its smooth ... with max-objects ... ... (direct3D 10.0 still is buggy ...)
            Thanks for any help,

Chris.Ko
            Last edited by chris.ko; 19-05-2008, 08:48 AM.

Comment

any new solvings

Hello everyone,

is there any solve for the described problem so far? We are still waiting to switch to Vista ...

thanks for any remark,

chris.ko

Comment

I haven't been able to reproduce this so far, but we have only a very small number of Vista machines to test on. I suppose as Microsoft stops selling XP now we will get more chances to try and reproduce this.

Best regards,
                Vlado
                I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

as of monday microsoft has stopped selling XP to large PC manufacturers.

Bring on windows 7?
                  Chris Jackson
                  Shiftmedia
                  www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

this happens with proxies generated with an old version of vray.
                    generating a new proxy with the original mesh fixed it for me.
                    Marc Lorenz
                    ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
                    www.marclorenz.com
                    www.facebook.com/marclorenzvisualization

Comment

Originally posted by plastic_ View Post
                      this happens with proxies generated with an old version of vray.
                      generating a new proxy with the original mesh fixed it for me.
                      Ack! Vlado, can you confirm that there's a difference in new vs. old proxies that would cause this? We have hundreds of proxies that would take forever to track down the original meshes and re-proxy. Is there anyway to write a tool that would 'fix' the old proxy files directly without having to re-proxy?

Comment

Working...
                      X