General Comment on New Animation Render Mode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General Comment on New Animation Render Mode

Ok so i've been trying out the new animation prepass and render mode, I know its intended to be used with moving objects, but i tried it on a static scene, my main reason for this was that we have about 30 machine on our farm, and instead of using 1 machine to calculate the map at say every 5th frame i thought why not role it out to all machines to save time and get the map calculated quicker.

I used light cache on fly through mode and then prepassed the irradiance map.
    Using settings of -3 -2 hsph 80 interp 18 blending over 3 frames. with sample lookup on density based.

Calculating the irradiance map was nice and quick at about 2-3mins a frame. It was when it came to rendering that the time's drastically increased. if i was using the old multiframe incremental method was irradiance map set to every 5th frame then rendered the frames i was achieving about 4-5 mins a frame, however with the new method around 7-8 mins.

The upside to using the new irradiance mode was that using network rendering i didnt have to worry about loading huge sized saved maps into ram which was good for the 32bit machines which tend to crash when the ram load hits 3.5gb.

One problem i would like to sort is that there tends to be a constant moving effect on the walls which is probably down too just to many changes in lighting calculations between frames. which if anyone had any experience getting down it would be a great help. Also getting alot more random flickers on frames.

here's links to a snip animations with the problems, please note i've had to crop areas out as its not public yet, the mov file isnt heavily compressed so compression isn't causing the problem

http://purple3d.com/blog/Vray_animation_scene.mov

A better method for a static scene is to send the imap calc out to the farm to save imaps for the 5th or 50th (as required, 50th is often good enough) and then merge the imaps into one for the whole path.

I've written a couple scripts to make it a little easier.

http://varcht.net/index.php?option=c...d=13&Itemid=28

http://www.chaosgroup.com/forums/vbu...ghlight=script
    Eric Boer
    Dev

Comment

What are your DMC sampler settings?

Best regards,
      Vlado
      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

adaptive amount : 1.00
        noise threshold: 0.009

min samples: 14
        global subdivs: 1

Comment

a solution to the flickering is to raise the frames blend up to a higher number tried it on 5 and it works well. Only thing you sacrifice is render time. need to see if its better running a lower number of frame blends say 2 or 3 with a higher number of interp samples. as apposed to running with 5 frame blend and a lower number.

It does seem to cause render time to go from 7 mins a frame up to 30 mins a frame

Comment

Working...
          X