Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• proxy

Hello all,

I am working on a scene and I am using xfrog trees. They look wonderful, that is until I convert them to vray proxies. After the conversion my leaves loose their texture. I am running xp64, vray 1.5 SP2, and MAX 2009.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Bobby Parker
    www.bobby-parker.com
    e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
    phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
    • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
    • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
    • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
    • ​Windows 11 Pro

Hi glorybound,

Yes, they are nice. I use them on a fairly regular basis as well.

I must say the XFrog trees usually retain their materials when I convert to proxy (I use convert to single file only + I am using WinXPx64/Max2008x64/1.5SP2x64) so it might be Max2009 related? I'm afraid I can't test that yet. Sorry.

But if it does happen they somehow lose their materials you might want to try and use the following procedure:

Before you convert the tree to proxy first "save" the multi/sub material from the tree mesh in your material editor (using the eyedropper), then convert to proxy, then re-apply the saved material to the proxy (drag & drop mat on proxy object). That should do the trick.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Ive had the same problem with xfrog trees but found a way to fix it.
      Hopefully you havent made the proxy straight out of your latest job scene, but already have it proxied out in a library somewhere.
      If so, go to the original .max proxy file for the tree you want to fix and bring up your asset tracking list ('shift' + 't'). Select/highlight all the maps in the list and then go 'paths' and then 'make paths absolute'. Close your asset tracking, save max and close the scene.

Then when you merge in the proxy from your library it should keep all the maps permanently linked to it.

By the way, if you have any trees with opacity maps for the leaves, you can speed up your render times by going into the opacity map and putting filtering onto 'none'. I usually turn blur down to 0.01 also but im not sure if you need to do this if filtering is checked off.

May the force be with you.

Comment

Xfrog trees are very nice, but I thought everyone stayed away from opacity mapped ...well anything! I guess sometimes the niceness overcomes the render hit!

Comment

proxy

I'll try that tip Jonferimonic, thanks.
          Bobby Parker
          www.bobby-parker.com
          e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
          phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
          • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
          • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
          • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
          • ​Windows 11 Pro