Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lightcache calculation crashes when rendering a region

Hi,
    I am working on some large renders (5000x2500) and it works ok.
    but today I had to correct a small part of the image so I tried to do a region render of only that part. But vray keeps crashing each time, as soon as it starts calculating lightcache. This only happens if I try to render a region. Very strange.
    I'm on max 2009 and windows xp

mekene

I had that, and yeah it's strange and can be caused by any number of things. Try calculating the light cache for the entire image maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by duke2 View Post
      Try calculating the light cache for the entire image maybe?
      Yes ! of course. I was so focused on the region rendering problem that I didn't even think of that.
      But in the meanwhile I managed to get what I wanted anyway. What I did actually is that I rendered the whole image and moved the buckets on the region I needed then stopped it once I had the desired area rendered.

But that still intrigues me. I don't see why the LC would render without problems for the full image and refuse for just a region. Maybe there's a bug somewehre there ?

mekene

Comment

if you have loads of very complex geometry, the LC might hit some "bad" triangle when the render type is changed to region, one that it would miss in the full render.
        I believe this is tied to the LC sampling only slightly differently when rendering different image sizes (as in the case of a region compared to a full render).

to try it, hide the objects not visible in the area render, and render a full image. See if the LC manages to hit the "bad" object that way.
        Lele
        Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
        ----------------------
        emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
        The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

ive recently discovered that doing a region render with LC/IRR is a lot slower than doing a full view (((

i mean the time b4 it actually starts computing....
          Martin
          http://www.pixelbox.cz

Comment

Working...
          X