• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nv4_disp.dll crashing in max/d3d; reflection/shading problem: SOLVED

so

in this thread:
    http://www.chaosgroup.com/forums/vbu...ad.php?t=42881
    I reported an error in a way that reflections/shadoing was being calculated.
    after some trial/error it was apparent that it was not an issue with vray (thanks Vlado!).

i felt hopeless, as i could't nail the bastard and the animation had to be finished with those artifacts....... i don't have to tell you how frustrating that can be.

finally (but after finishing the job) i found that it happened only when the object was smooth-shaded. flat-shading produced desired results, but at the cost of faceted surfaces and the like.

THEN i stumbled upon ANOTHER VERY ANNOYING problem.
    nv4_disp.dll BSOD in max/d3d.
    it happened before, every time i tried to open heavy scenes with d3d and cached3xmeshes enabled. without it viewports were as sluggish as in opengl - not what i would expect from 8800gtx. for some time i've been working using opengl - if the scene had less than 1M polys it was ok. but recently i was trying to work with a scene that was 13M polys/33M verticles and had about 0.3 fps, and redrawing of the viewports took ages....
    reinstalling drivers - nothing
    updating dx - nothing
    reinstalling max - nothing
    i even considered soft-modding my gfx into quadro, but decided to do it later (for fun / experience)
    ...and then I noticed that my max was not updated with sp2.
    installing the patch didn't help with the BSOD thing, but it SOLVED the previous problem - no more different buckets in DR!!
    (i didn't think that sp2 had such changes that it affected the way that objects are being shaded in rendering - my workstation produced darker buckets with visily different shading than patched to sp2 render nodes.)

so it was 1:0 for me, and only one to go...

after 3 days of web browsing and trying to come up with something on my own i found info about /3GB switch causing some problems with drivers.
    of course i was already aware of that, but as always couldn't believe that it would have any negative effect on MY hardware
    what i found was this:
    http://thatworks.blogspot.com/2007/07/3gb-switch.html
    in short - using only /3GB is not recommended, BUT adding /userva='something below 3000' (like /userva=2900) increases stability, at the cost of a little over than 100 megs of memory.

i tried this
    and it WORKS!

no more nv4_disp.dll BSOD in max, 13Mpoly scene now at >20fps, viewports redrawing almost instantly, work is now much more comfortable and stress-free.

this tweak was posted earlier, but it was linked to video card disappearing in the system, not BSODing all the time...

conclusion:

shading issues as observed in my previous thread - conflict between max versions on workstation and render slaves. my mistake, as i should have checked this before bothering You with the problem. but maybe it will help someone with similar issue, who - as I - forgot to update max on all machines and has version conflicts

nv4_disp.dll BSOD in d3d w/cached3dxeshes on - /3GB issue, solved with adding /userva='between 2900 - 3030'. i hope that this solution is solid, and the driver won't go haywire again....

cheers and thanks!

Maciej
    the purpose of a ninja is to flip out and kill people.
    the purpose of an architect is to flip out and design for people.

i've got to try this! thanks for the info
    Dominique Laksmana

Comment

Working...
    X