Understanding the Min/Max settings with Irradiance Map

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Understanding the Min/Max settings with Irradiance Map

I am curious. With higher resolution HD renderings I am unable to get good smooth results using what would seem to be a really good accurate IMAP, -3, -1, 70, 35. To get smooth results I always have to go to something like
    -4,-2, 80,35...

This seems counter-intuitive because I should be sampling the imap at a higher resolution and it should produce a more accurate result. I want a very accurate imap, what am I missing?

Thank you,
    Colin
    Colin Senner

I'm not sure but could it be that both images are roughly equally noisy but your eye perceives the smaller scale noise produced by your -3, -1, 70, 35 settings to be worse than that of the -4,-2, 80,35 settings.

Have you tried a larger difference between your min and max settings? Something like -8 -1, it doesn't actually make a less noisy image but because the noise on flat surfaces is such a large scale it doesn't draw the eye.

Dan
    Dan Brew

Comment

I have tried larger differences with little success. I guess I just want a settings that will provide me with a really amazing imap but am unable to get them at hd resolutions. Though I do know that the imap is resolution dependent.
      Colin Senner

Comment

Colin,
        What are you using for secondary bounces?
        Chris Jackson
        Shiftmedia
        www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

LC for static scenes. Brute for moving.
          Colin Senner

Comment

try -7 -4 40 20 with detail turned on
            Studio Max 2009 x64
            X5000 Chipset | Dual Core Intel 5140 | 4G RAM | Nvidia FX3450 drv 6.14.10.9185

Comment

Working...
            X