Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Displacement + Reflection "popping"

Hi Vray folks,
    I have tried everything I can think of to stop my ocean scene from "popping" the reflection. The ocean is more than 50% fresnel reflective (.6 gloss), and is only reflecting the sky dome (cyl uvw mapped). Diffuse is a dark color. The single Fdirect has no shadows. My displacement maps are 3 frame sequences blended with a mask. No GI. The camera is animated slowly. Nothing else in scene.

I cannot get the ocean reflection to stop "popping". Once it pops the change remains for the rest of the animation. This happens locally or on our farm. It will happen on specific frames depending on the displacement settings. I have tried increasing the displacement settings (originally was using 3D, linked example is subdiv -- i like the 3d look better), adjusting the sampling, fooling with the filtering, the mapping of the skydome (env vs. uvw), etc etc.

If I remove the reflection the error is not visible, so it is the combo of disp + reflection.

Aside from cranking the displacement settings way up (I'm trying to keep the rendertime reasonable as possible), can anyone offer another suggestion? I'm not even sure cranking the 3D settings to, say 4 edge length and/or 512 subdivs will do it. This current render is Subdiv -- 20 edge length, 128 subdivs, tight bounds. Do I just need a whole lot more subdivs (or edge length) to get a solid reflection in such a displacement?

www.triplehelix.com/ocean_test.mov

Thanks in advance!
    _will
    -Will

I cant remember exactly, there could be a reflection cutoff parameter which terminates reflection once its below a specified value. Look for that in your shader. I'll have a look tonight (I don't have vray with me here).
    Dmitry Vinnik
    Silhouette Images Inc.
    ShowReel:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

You could try lowering the reflection cutoff for your ocean material from the default 0.01 to 0.001 (under the options rollup of the material).

Dan
      Dan Brew

Comment

update..

so i just rendered a small 500pix wide test using 3D with 3 edge limit -- and got no popping. So rendering a larger and longer version to test. I guess it could just be a process of ramping it up until things start popping.

Ill look into that cutoff. Remember seeing it and considering fooling with it.

-W
        -Will

Comment

Working...
        X