Matte relfection way too noisy with LWF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matte relfection way too noisy with LWF

So I'm new with LWF. Check out the render. The dark metal on right is way to noisy. It has subdivs on 40, glossiness 0.6, and fresnel reflections. First thing I noticed is that with everything setup for LWF fresnel materials look different, like their edge is much more visible in material editor. When rendering my gama is on 2.2 so it's not the adaptive problem, and noise threshold is on 0.001. So everything pretty high, and everything pretty clean except that fresnel material. Any ideas?
    Attached Files
    www.hrvojedesign.com

Did you change thee sampling to LWF too ? (Colormapping gamma to 2.2 and "dont affect colors") ?

Regards,
    Thorsten

Comment

Also, I don't know how you have your scene lit, but if you have Vray plane lights at the windows, check their subdivision as well.

-peakyfreak
      ...learning more every day...

Comment

Hey guys,
        My color mapping gamma is set to 2.2 but I prefer not to click sRGB in VFB I didn't click (adaptation only) but it's the same thing, right?

Scene is only lit by sunlight and environment sky.
        www.hrvojedesign.com

Comment

Originally posted by Crayox13 View Post
          My color mapping gamma is set to 2.2 but I prefer not to click sRGB in VFB I didn't click (adaptation only) but it's the same thing, right?
          it is fine as long as you don't output to any 32bit format such as hdr and exr. if you tell vray to gamma correct your images without checking "don't affect colours", then the gamma correction will be saved with the rendered image, if you output to, say, exr, the image will result as double corrected.

Comment

I tried using linear (since I was using reinhard) and it's the same. If you look at the far right sofa, you can see how bad the lack of detail is (even GI). When I turn off sRGB that part is almost black. So this is definitely a color threshold issue. But my gama IS on 2.2 and now I checked that (adaptation only) - it's like this is a bug and that check isn't working. Please help, I don't know what else to do

Also, I have vray lights in those plexiglass objects to light the text. The light is invisible but it's seen flat through refraction/reflection. This is usually very good when you have round objects, but on flat objects it gives you that ugly pure white reflection. Is there a way around this?
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Crayox13; 20-11-2008, 03:57 AM.
            www.hrvojedesign.com

Comment

i am having the same problems with very dark materials....i usually have to bring more light in the scene or use very low noise threshold like 0.001....i really with vray was treating all colors the same

even if i use "affects colors" in color mapping it does not help....

glossy blacks in vray r very hard to get right
              Martin
              http://www.pixelbox.cz

Comment

Yes, but that's the thing. I actually also put 0.001, so that's really "high". Maybe we could get Vlados opinion on this. This is really strange.
                www.hrvojedesign.com

Comment

post your settings?

but i'd take thorsten's advice and make sure your sampler is also performing at a 2.2 gamma level by working in sRGB space and setting gamma to 2.2 with the don't affect colours option in the colour mapping settings.

P.S. - http://www.chaosgroup.com/forums/vbu...t=black&page=4

Comment

Here are the settings. On LWF these settings gave me very clean renders. And now it seams vray somehow still doesn't understand colors are gamma corrected.
                    Attached Files
                    www.hrvojedesign.com

Comment

Gamma somehow isn't working with vray. I had to increase my DMC to 4, 16 to get better results, and it used to be that 3, 6 gave nice results. And even with 4, 16 I get areas with bad sampling.

For instance the bad noise from matte reflections is gone, but other areas still look like they are below color threshold, which is on its lowest btw - 0.001

Please assist me with this, this obviously seams like some sort of a bug. Vray obviously is not taking gamma into account, not enough.
                      Attached Files
                      www.hrvojedesign.com

Comment

Working...
                      X