Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vray Blend material - Clear Coat refracting through base coat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray Blend material - Clear Coat refracting through base coat?

I am using a Vray Blend material to have a base matte coat and a fresnel clear coat.

A basic standard car paint effect. My problem is that when I blend (using the color picker in the vray blend material) adding in the clearcoat it sees through the 100% opaque base coat to the other side of the model like glass. I know this seems logical since I am doing a 50% blend but what I want is the 100% opaque base coat with a clear coat on top.

What is the simple thing I am doing wrong?

If I turn off trace refract so it doesn't turn into glass then the more I blend with the coat the closer to black it becomes.

Thanks.
    ------
    KC

Can you post a screen cap of the mat settings? It should work fine if your base material is totally opaque, I use this effect all the time without problems.
    Brett Simms

www.heavyartillery.com
    e: brett@heavyartillery.com

Comment

Your coat material should not be refractive. Just make it reflective and it should blend nicely over your base material, albeit making it a bit darker.
      Signing out,
      Christian

Comment

as trixian said, don't make any of the two refractive. the vray blend mat works as the name suggests, it blends mats, it doesn't stack them up as layers (like first opaque at the bottom, second transparent and reflective on top of it..). I'd add the coat mat, make it totally white reflective, and then use a falloff set to fresnel as mask.
        Last edited by rivoli; 04-02-2009, 03:51 AM.

Comment

Yeah I chose the refractive since it allows the brighter color to blend through a bit better but... it comes with the ability to see through.

Though I tried turning off the checkbox for trace refractions thinking it would work but then no color would come through.

So I ended up doing the suggested and adjusting the colors afterward.
          ------
          KC

Comment

Working...
          X