Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low cpu usage with 64 bit VRayDisplaceMod

Hi

We have recently moved from 32 bit XP (2 core) to 64 bit Vista (8 core) machines and noticed that when using VRayDisplaceMod the cpu usage is dropping down to about 12-15% like it´s using only 1 core. It´s mainly during the first and secound prepass and then the cpu usage starts climing slowly.
    The Prepass calculation is actually slower on the new 8-core machines than on the older 2-core machines.

Dos anybody know if this is a bug in the 64 bit ver. of VRay?

Preisler
    Preisler

www.3dpixel.dk
    www.linkedin.com/in/3dpixel

What is the value of the Dynamic memory limit parameter in the V-Ray System rollout? A value that is too low will cause V-Ray to swap geometry in and out of RAM, which will reduce processor usage.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Hi Vlado!

Right now it´s 3000 mb.. There is no difference in render time from 400 to 4000 mb.
      ....on the old 32 bit machine it´s set to 400 mb.

I should mention that the problem only occurs when using the 3D mapping type in the VRayDisplacementMod and we are running Max 2009.

Preisler
      Preisler

www.3dpixel.dk

Comment

Ok, then it's normal. The generation of the displaced geometry is not multithreaded, even though the actual raytracing of that geometry is multithreaded later on.

Best regards,
        Vlado
        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Thanks for your reply Vlado!

Is there a way to speed up the calculation of displaced geometry? ...Can it be done over DR or will it only be generated on one machine?

Will displaced geometry suport multithreaded in the SP3?

Preisler
          Preisler

www.3dpixel.dk

Comment

Working...
          X