SP3 - vray region rendering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SP3 - vray region rendering

I often use render region, and now it is available directly in the vray framebuffer, its a real bonus. I have started another thread somewhere about a couple of minopr improvements that would be nice.

However, one thing that I can't quite figure - I hope I'm being stupid - is trying to do a region render immediatly after I open a scene in Max. If I right-click in the viewport and choose 'V-Ray VFB', it doesn't open up, presumably because there is no 'information' to show. But this makes it difficult to start a region render. The way around it is to start a normal full render, then cancel it as its building, say, the LC, and then choose region render. This works, but its a bit clumsy, particularly with large, complex scenes.

Am I missing something obvious?
    Kind Regards,
    Richard Birket
    ----------------------------------->
    http://www.blinkimage.com

This is somewhat of a drawback, yes. Hopefully it will be worked around in future releases.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Hi,

it is another problem with vfb region - try to render some region (image corner) from vraycamera - image size 640x480 - image aspect = 1, then change the image aspect to 4 (image size will be 640x160) and render it - this "combination" cause max crash every time
      www.pixelmustdie.com

Comment

Mmm. The more I try to use the new vray region rendering, the more issues I find. With the 3dsmax region render, the region also appears in the viewport, so you can drag it around to envelop the area of geometry you need to render.

With the new vray region render, apart from not having the 'handles' you must drag an area within an often blank VFB and there is no good way to check that it covers the area of geometry you need.

Again, the only real way to solve this at the mo is to start an LC render and cancel it when you have enough of an 'impression' of your scene to drag a suitably sized region render.

I don't suppose this is a particularly quick thing to solve.

What are your thoughts Vlado?
        Kind Regards,
        Richard Birket
        http://www.blinkimage.com

Comment

Can't do much about that right now; it is an option for you to use or not as you wish. There are many things that we wanted to do (and will do them for the next version), but we did not have time for the service pack.

Best regards,
          Vlado

Comment

I agree...better to concentrate on next version and full set of features...imo
            Dmitry Vinnik
            Silhouette Images Inc.
            ShowReel:
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
            https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

Vray region + raw output fails.

Is it possible to access the Vray VFB render region parameters through maxscript?

I am working on a scene with multiple passes (set up in RPManager), and if I send a network job trying to save out through the Vray raw output with the VFB region on (its very useful for testing, of course), it errors on trying to write the file:

2009/03/18 10:52:43 ERR: [V-Ray] [VFBCore::SetRegion] Error writing render region to raw image file. [ExrFile::WTRegion] Region data ((433, 724)-(465, 756)) and tile size ((416, 704)-(448, 736)) do not match

There is no warning to tell you that the region is on when sending the job, so I generally only find out a few hours later when the render has failed on the farm.

If I could access the region on/off setting through maxscript, I should be able to have RPM generate a warning before I send the jobs, which would save me a lot of headaches.

Sam
              www.pixelpollen.com
              www.oovfx.com

Comment

I'm hijacking this thread.. seems unnecessary to start a new one.

We're working with a scene where we have a set camera and use blowup to frame the object for render. When we're trying to region render the blownup render, it renders the scene as we've never used blowup (i.e lots of white space in our case, and not the part of the object we want to testrender).

Would be great if this worked with blowup aswell!

Comment

This might work for you, in the maxscript help under "Camera common properties" there is a scripted example that will zoom extents selected.
                  Eric Boer
                  Dev

Comment

Sorry, but I can under no circumstances move the camera (which I assume you meant?) I can't change any aspect of the camera that changes the angle in any way. Although I can use the zoom factor in the PhysicalCam, I musn't overdo it.

Comment

Originally posted by DuskZero View Post
                      2009/03/18 10:52:43 ERR: [V-Ray] [VFBCore::SetRegion] Error writing render region to raw image file. [ExrFile::WTRegion] Region data ((433, 724)-(465, 756)) and tile size ((416, 704)-(448, 736)) do not match
                      Raw OpenEXR files do not seem to support region rendering for the moment (the buckets that are actually rendered and that V-Ray is trying to save do not match the tiles in the EXR file).

Best regards,
                      Vlado

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
                        Raw OpenEXR files do not seem to support region rendering for the moment (the buckets that are actually rendered and that V-Ray is trying to save do not match the tiles in the EXR file).
                        This is exactly what I'm trying to do at the moment and always get the same error message as DuskZero.
                        Looks like I'll have to render this region as vrimg and then convert it.

mekene

Comment

Working...
                        X