Falloff Shadow/Light problem in SP3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Falloff Shadow/Light problem in SP3

I've had a strange problem with falloff map in SP3. Falloff type set ot Shadow/Light and it mixing two textures. One of them is original texture and the second one is color corrected (just a bit more darker and desaturated). And the second one on render is looking totally wrong.
    Attached Files

Do you use GI for this scene?

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Yes. GI is on. Scene attached. (3ds max 2009 sp1)

Comment

I think what vlado is getting at is that with global illumination, your objects are bombarded by light from every direction, making a falloff calculation impossible for shadow/light.
        Ben Steinert
        pb2ae.com

Comment

Originally posted by beestee View Post
          I think what vlado is getting at is that with global illumination, your objects are bombarded by light from every direction, making a falloff calculation impossible for shadow/light.
          May be.
          Just tested in SP2 - same result. Is it bug or feature? I thought that Shadow/Light is working with direct lighting only. But with this methot it's become unusable.

Comment

I think it would be considered an oversight in the falloff map code. It was created without current lighting solutions in mind and has only been recompiled to work in current versions, rather than re-written to scale and work with current lighting scenarios.

I know in Jerry Ylilammi's bercon maps he has included a shadow/light mode in his new gradient map...basically the same thing as a falloff map...it might be worth a shot to see if it behaves any differently. It is definitely faster performance wise if nothing else!

Perhaps there is an alternative solution for your intent. Let us know what you are trying to do with this and you may get a few ideas.
            Ben Steinert
            pb2ae.com

Comment

Hello,
              I would like to know, if and how you found a solution for this problem.
              Thanks
              for my blog and tutorials:
              www.alfasmyrna.com

Comment

Working...
              X