Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Vray] UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: Updating material

Hi guys,

I am getting this error message from my render nodes and would like to understand what settings I may have set incorrectly to be causing this. We have successfully rendered many large exterior animations over the years with Vray but suddenly this error has starting creeping in.

I have 6 animations prepasses sent through back burner, imap (1st) and lc (2nd) successfully saved with no errors at all. The error appears in the 6 animations that use the calculated maps.

Our render farm consists of 5 machines with 8gb of ram, 2 with 4gb of ram, all on XP64 Pro Vray 1.5 SP2.

But the error appears sporadically across most of the machines at some point. What is strange is that the error stops after approximately the first 50 frames, as if the machines are 'settling in' to the task ahead!

I suspect it is a memory issue, we are using a lot of proxies and also some high poly modelling, plus many xref scenes.

We have also introduced some wind animated Onyx Trees for the first time (aaaarrgh I hear you cry), although testing without these included still returned the error.

Dynamic memory limit is set at 4000 and 'Auto'

We have no corrupt frames or maps due to the error up until now, however I know it is only a matter of time (ie this weekend!) when I send all the maps to calculate and the error creeps in and corrupts the maps...

I hope I've explained myself clearly(?) and apologies for the long post...any help will be greatly received.

thanks, mike
    Cheers, Michael.

Probably due to network loading, when a job first starts the machines are more or less pulling maps at the same time as time goes by they become more out of sync and balance the load on the network a bit. You could test it by adding servers to the job in a staggered order.
    Eric Boer
    Dev

Comment

many thanks for the reply,

I've just resent one of the jobs with only 3 nodes and still getting the error, do you think even 3 is potentially overloading the network?

out of interest, if it was due to this issue, is that down to my Vray settings or some of our hardware?

cheers, mike
      Cheers, Michael.

Comment

Working...
      X