Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• displacement in vrayblend mat

Hi,
    I'm making a terrain material. The base is mixture of dirt materials, and the first blend is a grass material that has a bitmap in its displacement material slot. It's blended through black and white bitmap with splotches. The thing is that displacement is not activated. When I apply just this second material (grass) to my terrain, displacement is rendered, but when it's a part of blend material it doesn't. Any way to fix this?
    www.hrvojedesign.com

I think only the displacement of the base material is taken into consideration.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Ok, will switch then. It's ok when there are only two materials, but it wouldn't be possible if there were more. Can this be fixed in future?

thx for the answer
      www.hrvojedesign.com

Comment

Yes, I think it can be done.

Best regards,
        Vlado
        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Maybe with some next hotfix?

Just tried switching and now the whole object is displaced, not just the grass areas - base material, but also the first blend material which doesn't have a displacement map.
          www.hrvojedesign.com

Comment

Hm...I wanted to use a mix or a mask procedural for terrain now, but apply it to a modifier but it doesn't seam to work. Is this to be expected?
            www.hrvojedesign.com

Comment

I was thinking about something like this the other day. It would actually be very handy to have a separate bump and/or displacement slot for the whole VrayBlendMat that affected the combined result of all the mats inside. I was working on product labels that had several materials (foils, matte paper, glossy paper etc.) and each needed a different texture in the bump map, but some areas of the whole thing was embossed together. It would have been much easier to do and control the embossing effect on the whole VrayBlendMat with one map/setting.

b
              Brett Simms

www.heavyartillery.com
              e: brett@heavyartillery.com

Comment

Originally posted by Crayox13 View Post
                Hm...I wanted to use a mix or a mask procedural for terrain now, but apply it to a modifier but it doesn't seam to work. Is this to be expected?
                if you're using 2d displacement yes, it's to be expected. 2d doesn't support more than one uv channel, procedurals or tiling. 3d displacement does though.

Comment

Thanks, will try 3d then.
                  www.hrvojedesign.com

Comment

why not try a mix map

---------------------------------------------------
                    MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
                    stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

I did try mix map, and also mask, none work. Btw, if I use 3D mapping, it doesn't work either

I want to have a terrain that is partially covered with grass. What to do now?
                      www.hrvojedesign.com

Comment

Originally posted by Crayox13 View Post
                        Btw, if I use 3D mapping, it doesn't work either
                        that's weird, it works as it should here. not grass, but I reckon that shouldn't make any difference:

displacing the plane with a tiled map masked with another bitmap. displacement is vraydispmod in 3d mode with everything as it is by default (apart from the amount). I wonder why it doesn't work for you.

Comment

You're absolutely right, just tried it on an empty scene on a simple object. I'm gonna have to search my scene to see why it's now working there.

thx
                          www.hrvojedesign.com

Comment

Lol, found it. The scale is much bigger, a huge terrain, so the intensity was too small.
                            www.hrvojedesign.com

Comment

Ok, so it's working now, but I just can't do it right. I increased subdivs to 512, and pixel to 0.5 to gain the detail in grass, otherwise it's just weird, but that kills my light cashe process. It just keeps presampling displacement and it's very slow. How do you guys balance the grass settings?
                              www.hrvojedesign.com

Comment

Working...
                              X