Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MS issue

Hi,

I have come across this issue when adding a people MS pass to a base render.

The people are having shadows from all lights, even behind walls, cast.

I'm not sure if I'm being clear so have made some example images to show what I mean!!

Ignoring that fact that the expected image has the wrong gamma! if you add the expected result to the base, you would get something close to the desired. The ball ms has too much shadow, the area where the wall should be blocking it out, so when combined that area has double the shadow?

Hopefully someone has understood this, and has a good solution to this!!

Thanks
    Attached Files

Are you using matte objects for this?

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Hi vlado

Yes I'm setting the plane and wall to matte object, -1, affect shadows and alpha.

Thanks for your input

Comment

Did you managed to replicate this Vlado? I use this for rendering passes all the time, and it does seem to be wrong each time.

Comment

There is an option in the V-Ray Object settings, "No GI on other mattes" which also affects the way matte objects cast shadows on other matte objects. Play with it and see if it does what you need.

Best regards,
          Vlado

Comment

Unfortunatly all that setting does is add the shadow of the wall on to the floor.

Is there a way to get the matte objects to block the light, and cast the correct shadow?

I can upload a 2008 max file of my setup?

Comment

I'm having the same issue here.
              I don't recall this being the case with Vray Mattes (either material or vray properties based mattes) prior to sp3a. Is anyone else noticing this for the first time? Objects that are matted (with matte, receive shadows, affect alpha all checked at a -1 alpha) are not casting shadows on un-matted objects. The matted objects receive the proper shadowing from the un-matted ones . . . but don't cast the proper shadows on the un-matted objects unless I uncheck the 'matte' option . . . and then, of course, the matte doesn't get any shadows at all.
              Playing with the 'No GI on other mattes' only causes matted objects to shadow themselves, which, in most cases I would guess, is not what we need.
              Anyone?

Comment

Funny enough, I was looking at this again today and I didn't find a solution! I think vlado needs to show us how it's done.

Comment

After looking at this more carefully, I don't think it can be done in one pass; you will have to render some passes separately and composite them to get the result that you need.

What you need is the ratio of the lighting of the scene with the sphere and the scene without the sphere (but with all other objects).

What the matte/shadow material calculates is the ratio of lighting with all objects and the scene without any objects. The matte/shadow material is not specifically aware that you are interested in the sphere only.

You can however calculate the required ratio by rendering the necessary passes directly and compositing them together.

Best regards,
                  Vlado
                  Last edited by vlado; 10-07-2009, 02:42 PM.

Comment

Sounds interesting, promising, and subject to error!

Would it be possible to make a test scene and do some renders much like my test above to help us understand better?

Many thanks

Comment

I can try to do some tests, but the approach would be essentially the same as the one outlined here:

http://www.spot3d.com/vray/help/150S...nim.htm#basics

Best regards,
                      Vlado

Comment

I haven’t tried this script but it looks very interesting. may help you as a plan B

http://www.evvisual.com/maxscript/script_oc.htm

there is another one not related with this topic (time saver) Multilight for Vray

http://www.evvisual.com/maxscript/script_multilight.htm
                        show me the money!!

Comment

I'm still coming across this issue with no solution. Has anyone found a method that will work in the months gone by!?

Thank,

Comment

Working...
                          X