Vray RAW output fails on # symbol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray RAW output fails on # symbol

I have just been trying to work out why my renders were failing on a new install of max 2010 and Vray 1.5r3a.

It turns out that the problem was that I had ## symbols in my output path eg: C:\##Project\Render\frame_.exr

When attempting to write an EXR, if fails with the Error writing render region to raw image file error, so I thought it was trying to write a region, which it was not. I then switched over to writing a vrimg, and it was attempting to create the file at C:\00700070Project\Render\frame_.vrimg

Each # symbol is being read as a frame number no matter where it is in the path string - I was rendering frame 70.

So I'm rendering to another folder for now, but thought I'd flag the error.

Sam
    www.pixelpollen.com
    www.oovfx.com

It's not so much an error; someone specifically requested for this possibility.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

so from now on we can use the output patch like :
      Render_###.exr

and the numbers will be 001, 002, etc ?
      3LP Team

Comment

But surely this is not working as anticipated? Why would I want Vray to read a # in a directory name as a frame number? Also, using #s doesn't allow you to choose the number of leading 0s if once you put it in, it adds the whole frame number for each #.

So somebody wanted to be able to have the frame numbering appear elsewhere in the output string? I would suggest the fix that Vray perform a filter on the string and only use the # if it appears after the last \ in the string (i.e. in the filename, not the directory structure), and thus fix my problem and still allow the requested effect.

Sam
        www.pixelpollen.com
        www.oovfx.com

Comment

Well, one could argue that using '#' in a directory name is not anticipated either But you are right that it is an oversight. I've noted this for fixing, however for now that's how it works.

@3LP - you can do that, yes, only you should use just one '#'.

Best regards,
          Vlado
          I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Indeed, fair enough. I use it to raise the folder to the top of the list in explorer, but another symbol or number would work just as well.
            www.pixelpollen.com
            www.oovfx.com

Comment

Working...
            X