DR; Render Slave returns no work..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DR; Render Slave returns no work..

I use distributed rendering on two slaves. The first machine churns away happily, the other loads the scene and then returns "Render Completed" shortly after without doing any work.

Any ideas what could be wrong?

Specs on both machines;

xp sp3
    max 2009 sp1
    vray sp3
    Last edited by thomasfenger; 25-05-2009, 11:39 PM.

i had this exact bug once.
    i closed 3ds max, and started it again.
    the bug was gone....

Comment

I am having the same problem. Please help!

Since I upgraded to SP3a, only two of my nodes will participate in DR. The others say immediately come back with "Render completed" and obviously do not join in.

I have logged into each node, restarted the service, rebooted the machine, etc., nothing helps. Its always the same nodes that don't work, i.e. Nodes 1 through 6 will not participate, nodes 7 and 8 always work.

They all worked fine with SP2.

I really would like to use all my nodes for DR. Any ideas?

My workstation and all nodes:

XP 64
      Max 2009 sp1
      Vray 1.5 sp3a

Thanks in advance,

Aaron
      Last edited by Clifton Santiago; 03-07-2009, 02:59 AM.
      "Why can't I build a dirigible with my mind?"

Comment

Additionally, after the node says "Render completed" a while later the vray messages say "Ping not received from host x.x.x.x for 603125 milliseconds, dropping connection" and then " warning: Render host x is not respinding"

I pinged the node in question, and it responded fine... What's going on here?

All nodes are working, because they show up in backburner and render frames just fine.

Comment

I have this only if u use Vray license service for DR (on every node), if I use Vray license server ( on every node) all work perfect.
          Best regards,
          Andrian

Comment

Not sure I understand the difference of what you are saying. I have vrayspawner running as a service on each machine, and a central license server that they all point to. I have all the licenses on one dongle.

This setup worked fine with SP2. I shouldn't have to change it. Plus, all nodes see the license server when rendering frames via BB.

I suspected it might be a license issue though... thanks! Vlado? Is this a bug?

Comment

Originally posted by Clifton Santiago View Post
              Not sure I understand the difference of what you are saying. I have vrayspawner running as a service on each machine, and a central license server that they all point to. I have all the licenses on one dongle.

This setup worked fine with SP2. I shouldn't have to change it. Plus, all nodes see the license server when rendering frames via BB.

I suspected it might be a license issue though... thanks! Vlado? Is this a bug?

You are right about my upper post, I was thinking about spawner not license server..

On every machine chaos group -> DR -> Launch V-Ray DR spawner
              not DR -> Administration -> Register V-Ray spawner service

Agreed this was fine in SP2.
              Best regards,
              Andrian

Comment

Well, if thats the case, I'm going back to SP2!

But, why do 2 nodes work fine, but not the rest? I would expect all nodes to fail the same way...
                Last edited by Clifton Santiago; 03-07-2009, 06:19 AM.

Comment

I fixed the above problem. The nodes that were not responding properly were older nodes with an old version of Vray installed: for 2008 and 2009. And when installing SP3a, after it uninstalled sp2, and then installed SP3a, it said it could not remove all files. So I uninstalled 2008, un-installed Vray spawner 2009 as a service, then re-installed. Now DR and all nodes work fine.

Comment

I will have to try this and report back. I'm having the exact same issue and just found this post.
                    -Chippy

Comment

OK I uninstalled directly from the Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs and then re-installed vray 1.5 sp3a and now my 2 slaves I tested did DR with no problems at all.

Initially, I had done the same thing as Clifton, I let the updated installer uninstall the old version and I guess it left some piece of it behind. On another note, when I uninstalled it from one of the machines, it still said I would have to manually remove some files, but once it was re-installed DR worked fine.

Now if I can only figure out the Win7 issue I'm having at home! LOL!

Thanks, Clifton for the suggestion.
                      -Chippy

Comment

Working...
                      X