Understanding my Vray license server setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Understanding my Vray license server setup

Could someone clarify this for me or point me in the right direction?..I would be very grateful since I am stuck and have no dongles to test another box...Thanks in advance!

I am trying to figure out what is needed for a new installation of a test VRAY license server and also to clean excess stuff on an existing production
    V-Ray License server. The production license server runs Windows 2000 (32 bit) for a 64 bit environment including XP workstations running 3dsmax 2009 and vray 1.50 sp2 as well as a farm of windows 2003 servers with the same software and versions.

I did a test with a user and am a bit confused because there is a "Wibu Key Server service" that is in automatic mode but not "started". I am trying to figure out if this "Wibu Key Server service" service is needed when a user starts 3dsmax and vray so that a license can be granted to the requesting application. It seems that it is not needed but the installation document for VRAY seems to indicate that Wibu Key drivers are installed before the dongle is attached to the USB port after the installation of V-ray is completed. I would like to disable this service but am not sure what role it plays, if any.

I did notice that stopping the VRLService stops access to the 2009 version of 3dsmax software using v-ray (1.50 sp2) (The path to the VRLService service is C:\Program Files\Chaos Group\V-Ray\3dsmax 2009 for x86\startvrlservice.exe)

However, the Wibu Key service does not seem to play a role in granting a license to Vray because I asked a user to close his 3dsmax 2009 application and restart it after the the Wibu Key Server service was stopped on the license server (Path to the Wibu Key Server ->"c:\PROGRAM FILES\WIBUKEY\SERVER\WkSvW32.exe") and he was still able to start the 3dsmax application and vray and send off a job to the serverfarm. WkSvW32.exe = Version 5.20 of 2006-Nov-22 (Build 4) There are two "Wibu Key" related folders under C:\program files : one is called WIBUKEY and the other WIBU-SYSTEMS. Perhaps one is not needed any longer.

Can the "c:\PROGRAM FILES\WIBUKEY\SERVER\WkSvW32.exe" service be disabled or does it provide a needed function? Are there other services that are installed besides the V-Ray License server when installing a new version of Vray (like 1.50 sp3a) that need to be running.
Working...
X