Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DR works in 2009 but not 2010

Hi,

I've read a number of potentially relevant posts in this forum, repeatedly, over several weeks trying to find a solution to get V-Ray 1.50 SP3 DR to work in 3ds Max 2010, to no avail. It works fine in 3ds Max 2009 on the same machine. The XP Pro 32-bit SP3 PC is current with the latest SW versions, patches, OS service packs and updates, etc.

Uninstalled all versions of Backburner, cleaned out registry, and reinstalled BB 2008.1. - Works just fine with 3ds Max 2009; all CPU cores from all render slaves show in the client frame buffer as expected.

Basically, it looks like the V-Ray Spawner on the slave is going to do something at first. The taskbar tab name changes briefly to Untitled, but it's always a false hope. Eventually it seems like the slave has given up for most but not all successive attempts during that session, as the Task Manager CPU usage sits fairly still and the filename doesn't change again in the Taskbar tab, although it sometimes might. Ticking the option in 3ds Max 2010 on the client under V-Ray Distributed Rendering to restart the render slaves has no effect.

Resaved the VRay dummy max file and replaced it on the slaves but nothing changed.

2010 SP1 just released by AD had no effect.

The V-Ray error logs show nothing useful. The job was submitted but there were no errors, other than the obvious issue that no DR buckets were filled by any of the slaves.

Moving out the AutoCam plugin files had no effect.

Setting UNC paths in Asset Tracker had no effect.

Isolated all third party plugins to test for conflict.

Tried running with no firewall or anti-virus but no difference.

Tried a super simple scene with a teapot and a V-Ray light, plus some of the sample V-Ray scenes. None of three identically configured render slaves would provide a single bucket to the VFB at any time. Given the scene simplicity, I don't think this is a memory issue, so the 3GB switch is unlikely to matter. Each PC has 4GB of RAM.

The V-Ray license server status webpage does indeed show that a DR license node is in use at the time that a render slave is supposedly working on the scene, but there is minimal CPU activity on the render slave and no output is returned to the client.

The only errors that possibly might be worth mentioning were in the max.log file on the render slave:
    2009/08/01 05:03:45 WRN: Gamma Correction Settings are Being Changed
    2009/08/01 05:03:45 ERR: An unexpected exception has occurred in the network renderer and it is terminating.

Can anyone suggest what might cause this last error? It seems to be the only clue I have at this point. I'm just baffled as to why V-Ray DR works in 2009 but not 2010, given the minimal variables between them and especially that Backburner 2008.1 works with both, for both individual frames of an animation and even split renders for a single frame.

If anyone has anything left worth trying, thanks in advance!
    Last edited by CG_Jedi; 01-08-2009, 04:50 AM.

Okay, currently the V-Ray Spawner for 3ds Max 2010 on the render slave doesn't seem to be processing jobs from the client, as seen in the following vraylog.txt that shows no additional activity beyond initial startup. The same file when created by the V-Ray Spawner for 3ds Max 2009 on the same PC is much longer with all the expected activity having been performed.

[2009/Aug/1|21:57:36] ================================================== ==========
    [2009/Aug/1|21:57:36] Console created, V-Ray Adv 1.50.SP3a for x86 from Apr 8 2009, 11:45:38
    [2009/Aug/1|21:57:36] ================================================== ==========
    [2009/Aug/1|21:57:36] Compiled with Intel C++ compiler, version 11
    [2009/Aug/1|21:57:36] Host is 3dsmax, version 12
    [2009/Aug/1|21:57:36] V-Ray DLL version is 1.70.00

The VRSpawner.log below does appear to acknowledge that two separate job requests were received from the client, as shown in the two failed execute attempts. There was no spike in CPU activity at all, as if the request was received but ignored.

0: [2009/Aug/1|21:54:56] ========================== Starting new session ==========================
    1: [2009/Aug/1|21:54:56] Got this module name: C:\3dsmax2010\vrayspawner2010.exe
    2: [2009/Aug/1|21:54:56] Got this INI file name: C:\3dsmax2010\VRaySpawner.ini
    3: [2009/Aug/1|21:54:56] *** ALERT! Could not open INI file: "C:\3dsmax2010\VRaySpawner.ini". Using defaults.
    4: [2009/Aug/1|21:54:56] --
    5: [2009/Aug/1|21:54:56] Dumping current settings...
    6: [2009/Aug/1|21:54:56] VRaySpawner temp dir: "C:\3dsmax2010\network"
    7: [2009/Aug/1|21:54:56] Application name (MAX/VIZ): "C:\3dsmax2010\3dsmax.exe"
    8: [2009/Aug/1|21:54:56] --
    9: [2009/Aug/1|21:54:56] Process id is 5172 (0x1434)
    10: [2009/Aug/1|21:54:56] Executing ""C:\3dsmax2010\3dsmax.exe" -server C:\3dsmax2010\network\vraydummy2010.max"
    11: [2009/Aug/1|21:57:13] Process id is 5172 (0x1434)
    12: [2009/Aug/1|21:57:13] Executing ""C:\3dsmax2010\3dsmax.exe" -server C:\3dsmax2010\network\vraydummy2010.max"
    13: [2009/Aug/1|22:02:09] ========================== Ending session ==========================

Given that 2009 works but not 2010 for V-Ray DR on all three of my render slaves, I don't think there are any questions about network connectivity, directory/file permissions, etc. I've hunted for configuration file differences between 2009 and 2010 but haven't found anything of interest yet, and they both work for regular Backburner 2008.1 jobs. I guess I'll go uninstall and reinstall V-Ray yet again and see if that helps.

Comment

Nope... uninstalled and reinstalled V-Ray 1.50 SP3a and V-Ray RT 1.50.01 for 3ds Max 2010 on both the client and server, but V-Ray still won't do DR in 3ds Max 2010 on the render slave. V-Ray RT _does_ work on the same render slave for 3ds Max 2010, and V-Ray DR for 3ds Max 2009 has worked all along, so I don't think this is a licensing issue.

VRLService is installed as a service on the client; obviously the render slaves can see it. I am manually starting the V-Ray Spawner on the render slaves and have _not_ installed it as a service.

Wow... just stumped........

Comment

Does the session of max started by spawner stay open?

Comment

Usually, but not always. Three things may happen:
          1) VRaySpawner starts max in server mode with the vray dummy scene filename shown in the taskbar tab, but nothing happens beyond that.
          2) VRaySpawner starts max in server mode with the vray dummy scene filename shown in the taskbar tab, which upon receipt of a job from the client blinks a bit, shows Untitled, and then goes back to the vray dummy scene filename.
          3) VRaySpawner icon is in the taskbar, but max never appears in the taskbar at all.

Interestingly, I did notice in one attempt that the vraylog.txt on the render slave showed that it got a few lines into a job and then quit. Such odd inconsistency...

Other things that didn't help:
          1) Deleting/renaming the 3dsmax.ini file on both the client and server.
          2) Moving the cfg folder out of the backburner folder to avoid use of the wiretap config files, as suggested on the AD forum for a somewhat similar issue.
          3) Deleting/renaming the Network_IPV6 folder so that backburner doesn't try to load that task; I think this doesn't matter, though, since I'm using BB 2008.1 and not 2008.2. I did notice the registry entries for 2008.2 tasks that were installed presumably by the install of 3ds max 2010, but I assume that BB 2008.1 just ignores them since it does not report that IPV6 was loaded. Still, BB does pick up on tasks elsewhere in the registry, such as for combustion, which has its own BB key.
          4) This problem was evident in both XP SP2 and SP3. I only dared finally installing SP3 two weeks ago, and I haven't had any problems yet. I don't regret waiting 15 months for things to settle, given the initial several months of issues that early adopters had last year.

The fact that V-Ray DR works for 3ds Max 2009 and not 2010, on the same machine, seems to indicate very strongly that this is either a 2010 configuration issue, bug, or V-Ray compatibility issue. Of course, the relative lack of posts here implies that either few other people have a problem with V-Ray DR on 2010 or that most people are waiting for the 2010 bugs to shake out until they spend time on trying it themselves.

So, if anyone is happily using V-Ray DR in 3ds Max 2010, especially on XP Pro 32-bit SP3, feel free to say that, too. I'd really like to know if I am or am not the only one with this problem. Thanks!

Comment

We have ignition...

I have finally gotten DR to work in 2010!!!

Using a bare-bones install of 3ds Max 2010 (with SP1) on a render slave, the buckets finally started flowing back to the client.

When I track down the cause of the problem on the render slaves, I will return to edit this post, but it was likely either a configuration error on my part or a conflicting plugin or script. Nothing at the moment to suggest anything wrong with V-Ray.

Thanks to all who read through this thread.

Comment

3dconnexion plugin conflict

I've had a SpaceBall 5000 USB for the past five years and I can't imagine being without it. However, from time to time, the drivers have proven problematic. Given my experience with trying to get V-Ray DR to work in 3ds Max 2010, this is apparently one of those times again. There have been two releases of the 3DxStudio 2010 plugin so far in the past three months, and this may be a remaining bug.

After several days of insane frustration trying to figure out why V-Ray distributed rendering was not working in 3ds Max 2010 using the V-Ray Spawner, I finally isolated the cause to the presence of 3DxStudio.ms and 3dxstd.dlu on three different render slaves.

3DxStudio.ms is located in the \Scripts\Startup directory.

3dxstd.dlu is located in the \stdplugs directory, so it's really easy to overlook when moving all other third party plugins other than V-Ray out of the \plugins directory for troubleshooting purposes.

Once these two files are removed, V-Ray DR works in 3ds Max 2010.

Note that this problem does not occur in 3ds Max 2009, so there may be something specific to the plugin for 3ds Max 2010 that causes the conflict. Also, regular network rendering without V-Ray does work in 3ds Max 2010 when the 3dx plugin and script are present.

Although removing the two files is easy enough on my render slaves, in other work environments where a render slave is also an actively used workstation with a licensed installation of 3ds Max 2010 and a 3dconnexion device, this could be quite an annoying problem.

Note that completely uninstalling the 3DxSoftware drivers, rebooting, and then reinstalling v3.7.16 did not resolve the issue.

Going forward, I will be sure to disallow the installation of the 3dx plugin in 3ds Max on a PC that is also used as a render slave. If I have to transfer a 3ds Max license to one of those PC's, however, I'll also have to remember to reinstall the 3dx plugin and script in order to use the device.

System info:
              SpaceBall 5000 USB
              3DxSoftware v3.7.16 (3DxStudio 2010 4.8.1)
              V-Ray 1.50 SP3a
              3ds Max 2010 SP1 (no different without SP1)
              Windows XP Pro 32-bit SP3 (no different with SP2)
              Intel D975XBX2 motherboard
              4GB RAM
              nVidia Quadro FX 3700 / GeForce GTX 260 / GeForce 9800GTX / GeForce 8800GTS (in four different PC's - one client and three servers)
              Last edited by CG_Jedi; 03-08-2009, 11:58 PM.

Comment

I got the same problem with the spacepilot. I searched the problem for exactly 2 weeks before Tania from chaosgroup finnaly saved my soul by pointing to your thread!

Now everything is up and running like hell!

Explosion & smoke I did with PhoenixFD
                Little Antman
                See Iron Baby and other of my models on Turbosquid!
                Some RnD involving PhoenixFD

Comment

Glad to be of help!

Comment

Thankyou

Thanks so much cg_jedi for troubleshooting this issue!

Is there any other fix than just removing these drivers? I have these symtoms it seams on my main workstation where i use my space pilot....

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

tarran
                    woodsbagot

Comment

If you're experiencing the problem on your main workstation where you have your space pilot installed, then I wonder if you really have the same problem. I'm assuming you are _not_ referring to the problematic scenario I already described whereby your workstation is setup both as a V-Ray render slave and as a licensed workstation with an attached 3dconnexion device. (Not sure how to get around that unless more recent 3Dx drivers have solved the problem.)

Other than reviewing this thread again for possible suggestions, which I just did myself, you could try a slightly older driver release and see if it makes any difference. Before that, however, if it were me, I would uninstall the 3dconnexion driver, remove any remaining 3Dx driver files from the 3dsmax 2010 directories such as the two files I specifically mentioned in the previous post, confirm that 3ds max starts properly on your local machine with no 3Dx drivers, and then reinstall the latest driver from the 3dconnexion website. This is my best first course of action because it sounds like perhaps you have a corrupted 3Dx driver installation. Unfortunately, installing the latest driver without first uninstalling the old one has been known on occasion to corrupt the driver configuration and cause flakey problems like this, so better safe than sorry. If you have any elaborate custom settings for your space pilot, you may wish to back them up or write them down if you are worried about the possibility of losing them.

My only other thought if that doesn't work is that you install VRLService as a service on the client and manually start the V-Ray Spawner on the render slaves (do not have it installed as a service there). Do not start V-Ray Spawner on your local client (either manually or as a service - confirm status in Windows Services), especially given that you have the space pilot installed there. If someone else is accessing your PC as a render slave, well... that could be part of the problem... or not.

I wish I could be of more help, but hopefully these couple of suggestions will at least lead you in some new direction of what to try. Best of luck!

Comment

DR works in 2009 but not 2010

Thanks for your advice - will give those options a try.

Have to do some work now though so will have to wait! Already spent 2 days updating the workstations!

Thanks

Tarran

Comment

On the 3d connexion forum someone from 3dconnexion answered that he could not do anything that we have to talk to chaosgroup...
                          Would be great if 3d connexion and chaosgroup could investigate the problem. It's annoying to alwasy uninstall 3d connexion drivers before using vray DR...

Explosion & smoke I did with PhoenixFD
                          Little Antman
                          See Iron Baby and other of my models on Turbosquid!
                          Some RnD involving PhoenixFD

Comment

Working...
                          X