Environment override question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Environment override question

is it normal that reflection/refraction environment override still works even if every light in the scene (direct and GI ) is switched off?
    I know it's an override but to me it doesn't make sense!
    am I missing something?
    Alessandro

Well, it is not related to lights or GI in any way, so why wouldn't it work?

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
      Well, it is not related to lights or GI in any way, so why wouldn't it work?

Best regards,
      Vlado
      I see but if you think about it as a reflection instead of the real one (the one that should be) then it's a non-sense; I mean you can't have a reflection without any sort of light, or not?

well, it's not a great problem, it's only seems to me strange
      Alessandro

Comment

It is typically used when you render against background plates; obviously you will need one map for the background in "screen" mapping mode, and another one for reflections (for example, in spherical mapping mode). It has nothing to do with whether there are any lights in the scene or not.

Best regards,
        Vlado
        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
          It is typically used when you render against background plates; obviously you will need one map for the background in "screen" mapping mode, and another one for reflections (for example, in spherical mapping mode). It has nothing to do with whether there are any lights in the scene or not.

Best regards,
          Vlado
          thanks for answering,
          I know about the supposed use of the override but maybe for me it's still better to think about it as the reflection override IS the light source otherwise I still cann't uderstand which is the basis for the reflection computation, I mean: no light then no visibility then no reflection but...if I think that the override acts as a light source then it makes sense
          Alessandro

Comment

Working...
          X