Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• film gate - EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM ?

Hello friends,

I am a bit confused about the FILM GATE settings of the vray physical camera.

I wanted to simulate the CANON EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Lens.

to keep it simple, I created a new VrayPhysic Cam, and I kept the Cam as a Full Frame Cam (Lens Conversion Factor 1).

So far all makes sense I use 70mm focal length and it is like I do have a real 70mm lens mounted on my vray cam.

But how can I use the film gate value ?
    How can I compare that value to a my real Canon lense ?
    Is the film gate just a feature for movie cams ?

Or does the Canon Lens have actually also a real Film Gate value ?

I was downloading all .pdf's from Canon to find that data.. but unfortunately, there is no data about that.

Thank you for every little info,
    Bernhard
    Attached Files
    www.bernhardrieder.com
    rieder.bernhard@gmail.com

The film gate is part of the camera specification, not the lens. Check out the specs for your camera body, specifically the horizontal sensor size.

Also, depending on your camera body you may need to multiply your lens focal length by the lens conversion factor if necessary.
    www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

hmm...

@dlparisi:

thank you for your reply.. that helps already a lot.. so the film gate depends on the camera body not on the lens.... good to know.

well, yes.. I keep the lens conversion factor with 1, because I go with a body that has full frame... or lens conversion factor 1.
      just to get sure.... I was thinking that I control the lens conversion factor (LCF) with the vray zoom factor ?

sooo.... that means, if the body has an LCF from 1, my zoom factor is one.
      if my body has an LCF from 1.6, my zoom factor is 1.6 ?
      right / wrong ?

@horizontal sensor size:
      so you mean, the horizontal sensor size of the actual camera body = the film gate ?

thx a lot & till later,
      bernhard
      www.bernhardrieder.com

Comment

Originally posted by bernhard View Post
        just to get sure.... I was thinking that I control the lens conversion factor (LCF) with the vray zoom factor ?

sooo.... that means, if the body has an LCF from 1, my zoom factor is one.
        if my body has an LCF from 1.6, my zoom factor is 1.6 ?
        right / wrong ?
        Yeah the zoom factor does seem to work to account for the LCF.
        Originally posted by bernhard View Post
        @horizontal sensor size:
        so you mean, the horizontal sensor size of the actual camera body = the film gate ?
        Yes, AFAIK.
        www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

thank you

Thank you,

I really appreciate that.
          take care & till later,
          bernhard
          www.bernhardrieder.com

Comment

Working...
          X