setting up windows7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• setting up windows7

I have a new slave machine which I thought id test out windows 7 on.

Despite being able to see the network and open textures in explorer, when rendering over DR its returning white textures for its buckets.

any ideas?
    WerT
    www.dvstudios.com.au

what are your paths?
    Dmitry Vinnik
    Silhouette Images Inc.
    ShowReel:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

probably a combination of \\server\z\maps\
      and z:\maps\

either address will show me the maps dir in the win7's machines explorer.

I bet its security related, im logged in as a standard user, but having to run the dr spawner as administrator to get it to work at all.
      Last edited by werticus; 03-10-2009, 11:26 PM.
      WerT
      www.dvstudios.com.au

Comment

I just setup my new workstation today with Win7. I did notice some crap about writing down a code it gives you during setup for other computers to access it. I have no answer to your question, however

Comment

Okay I just decided to rebuild the machine from scratch since there was something iffy going on with my user accounts.

And now it works perfectly.

I have no idea what i did to break it before but anyway its good now!

I have yet to install AVG anti virus, so if that breaks it again ill let you all know!
          WerT
          www.dvstudios.com.au

Comment

Originally posted by werticus View Post
            Okay I just decided to rebuild the machine from scratch since there was something iffy going on with my user accounts.

And now it works perfectly.

I have no idea what i did to break it before but anyway its good now!

I have yet to install AVG anti virus, so if that breaks it again ill let you all know!
            Computers are just fantastic aren't they.

Comment

The user account management in Windows 7 can make or break your render farm setup. I found that I had to turn my sensitivity settings all the way down, if not off in order to get the machine to participate in network rendering. Other then that, Windows 7 install and network setup seemed very quick and easy, much better then the XP workflow.

Comment

Originally posted by MegaPixel View Post
                The user account management in Windows 7 can make or break your render farm setup. I found that I had to turn my sensitivity settings all the way down, if not off in order to get the machine to participate in network rendering. Other then that, Windows 7 install and network setup seemed very quick and easy, much better then the XP workflow.
                Yeah I think this is the equivalent of UAC in Vista. I turned it all the way down too.

Comment

I used to use AVG, but it has gotten a bit bloated in the latest versions. Been using this new free one for a couple of months, and it has been running well:
                  http://www.microsoft.com/Security_essentials/

About the UAC in Win 7, I turn it down all the way too. In Vista I had turned it off. It is annoying

Comment

Oh okay cool, i saw those settings and turned them down as well on my second go.

Everything is working fine now with avg, i skipped installing some of the bloaty bits of that.

Also there is just something so wrong about installing a MICROSOFT product as an anti virus when its their faulty os its securing? That's just a massive conflict right there!
                    WerT
                    www.dvstudios.com.au

Comment

Also there is just something so wrong about installing a MICROSOFT product as an anti virus when its their faulty os its securing? That's just a massive conflict right there!
                      lol, perhaps

Comment

I've a question for all win7 users.
                        Excluding very obsolete hardware, how did you set the graphical feature of the win7?? Aero on o off?? Mantaining the default visual features, do you have less performance with 3dsmax and other working apps??

Thanks in advance.

Comment

I have all my Win7 machines setup with the following settings and they run great.

I also have turned off the UAC stuff. We are running Vipre for AV software and I really like it. One of my servers is the manager and makes sure that all the slaves and other nodes are up to date so that my computer isn't constantly connecting to the internet checking for updated databases. My server takes care of everything and I can control my workstations, servers, renderfarm differently depending on my preferences.
                          Attached Files
                          Troy Buckley | Technical Art Director
                          Midwest Studios

Comment

Working...
                          X