Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V-ray Sun Physical Camer Workflow

Hi,

i need an advice concerning the proper settings for creating a realistic lighting condition with the vray sun in conjunction with the vray physical camera.
    My recent settings are as followed :

I use the linear workflow. I m using the v-ray sun with default values. I use the VP Camera
    with a f-stop of 8 and a color balance to counterbalance the yellowish sun.
    I put an hdri with the default values (except switching to spherical) in the GI and in the Reflection Overideslots. I switch on GI (Irradiance map).
    My testscene contains a vray plane (grey), a grey ball (medium grey), a reflection ball and
    a plane with a bitmap mapped onto it.
    When i render everything looks fine except the chrome ball with the hdri reflection. It`s way too dark in my opinion. The grey ball looks like the grey in the material editor so does the v-ray plane.
    I am used to set the multipliers in the hdri slots to 1 x 1 or 1.2 x 1.2 but now i m forced to set it way up to 3 x 3 or 4 x 4 to get bright and "realistic" looking reflections in the chromeball.
    So is this the right way to deal with the dark hdri reflection in conjunction with the lwf and the vray sun/camera or am i missing something here ?
    Lowering the f-stop results in overbright materials but helps the hdri reflections. Do i have to darken all materials from the beginning to deal with this ?

Thx in advance for every answer

Greetings,

Martin

Hdri

I use the default HDRI multiplier of 30. My camera is around f-top 8, shutter 80, and ISO 100. I usually through a vraysun in with default intensity to get sharp shadows.

The vraycamera is per scene. The scene I am working on now is f-number 16, shutter speed 35, and ISO 150. I am using an HDRi with the a multiplier of 30 and a vraysun of 1. Once I learned that each scene is unique and you just can't imput numbers my scenes got much better. My rule of thumb is if it looks correct, it is correct.
    Last edited by glorybound; 12-10-2009, 01:39 PM.
    Bobby Parker
    www.bobby-parker.com
    e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
    phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
    • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
    • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
    • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
    • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by glorybound View Post
      I use the default HDRI multiplier of 30. My camera is around f-top 8, shutter 80, and ISO 100. I usually through a vraysun in with default intensity to get sharp shadows.

The vraycamera is per scene. The scene I am working on now is f-number 16, shutter speed 35, and ISO 150. I am using an HDRi with the a multiplier of 30 and a vraysun of 1. Once I learned that each scene is unique and you just can't imput numbers my scenes got much better. My rule of thumb is if it looks correct, it is correct.
      have any visual render samples to see?
      Usually i hardly adjust my VP camera setting unless interior shots. out door i remain default just reduce the sun value when it get over burn. sometimes adjust too many thing to adjust result is kinda of confuse and won't get a smooth workflow. The final anyway will adjust in post-production.

oooh any nice HDRI website to recommend?

thankssssscheeerss

Comment

For exteriors I usually start with the Sunny 16 Rule, f/16 ISO 100 shutter 100, and adjust from there.

Comment

Originally posted by Flame@chaos View Post
          I am used to set the multipliers in the hdri slots to 1 x 1 or 1.2 x 1.2 but now i m forced to set it way up to 3 x 3 or 4 x 4 to get bright and "realistic" looking reflections in the chromeball.
          So is this the right way to deal with the dark hdri reflection in conjunction with the lwf and the vray sun/camera or am i missing something here ?
          Lowering the f-stop results in overbright materials but helps the hdri reflections. Do i have to darken all materials from the beginning to deal with this ?

Thx in advance for every answer

Greetings,

Martin
          Without knowing what the brightest point of your hdri is, there's no other way to get it right other than guessing
          I shouldn't self-reference myself, but there is an old thread and video tutorial of mine that deals with just that type of issues: how materials are very important to the look of your final image, how to make sure you're taking the guessing part out of exposing a physcam (through colorpicking in linear space with no gamma applied) and so on.
          you will find the humongous thread here:
          http://www.chaosgroup.com/forums/vbu...ad.php?t=36359
          Lele
          Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
          ----------------------
          emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
          The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Working...
          X