Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuck Buckets

Hi-

I am currently working on a scene using 3DS MAX design 2010, the latest V-Ray, and DR. It seems the render is stuck with 2 buckets left. The estimated render time is 2:39 minutes, but it has been there for 4 hrs. Max hasn't stopped responding, but it seems v-ray has. This has happened before on different scenes. Lucky I am not under a deadline so I am going to kill it, but does anybody know what would cause this?
    Bobby Parker
    www.bobby-parker.com
    e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
    phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
    • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
    • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
    • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
    • ​Windows 11 Pro

I know about the issue as it has happened before; I haven't been able to reproduce this here successfully though. If I manage to reproduce it, I'll fix it.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

I have recently created a scene which has this problem. All 8 of my buckets get stuck on the same place everytime. The area is looking through glass at vray proxied onyx trees which are placed on top of vray displacement grass with a simple plane behind for mapped textured trees. Now, if I region render this area there is no problem, if I render full at 3000px all buckets get stuck...forever. This doesnt hapen from other camera angles on the project. I have tried moving stuff around, changing material settings, the only way I can get it to work at full size is to remove the backround plane.
      Daniel

www.danieljhatton.com

Comment

I had exactly the same problem with a large render I did recently. There were 3 buckets that didnt render...i ended up cancelling the render and cloning them in photoshop..luckily it was just a grass area, but any detailed areas I couldnt do this !
        Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

Originally posted by DHFrame View Post
          I have recently created a scene which has this problem. All 8 of my buckets get stuck on the same place everytime. The area is looking through glass at vray proxied onyx trees which are placed on top of vray displacement grass with a simple plane behind for mapped textured trees. Now, if I region render this area there is no problem, if I render full at 3000px all buckets get stuck...forever. This doesnt hapen from other camera angles on the project. I have tried moving stuff around, changing material settings, the only way I can get it to work at full size is to remove the backround plane.
          Would it be possible to get me that scene to vlado@chaosgroup.com so that I can debug it?

Best regards,
          Vlado

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
            Would it be possible to get me that scene to vlado@chaosgroup.com so that I can debug it?

Best regards,
            Vlado
            I was just preparing it to send you and decided to hit render one more time after installing SP4 from SP3a. I dont know why, but installing SP4 seems to have stopped the problem. Buckets are not sticking. Do you still want me to send you the scene Vlado?

Thanks!

D
            Daniel

www.danieljhatton.com

Comment

Yes, I would still like to get it, if possible; thanks a lot!

Best regards,
              Vlado

Comment

I think I had the same issue yesterday - buckets would randomly stick forever, cancelling the renders results in crashing max completely. As with Dan's experience, it seems to happen mostly on areas looking through glass, in my case its happening just on a bit of plasterboard.

(I'm using SP4)

To get it to render I decided to try rendering in strips via BB, then I noticed that my slave wouldnt start as it had vrayRT (SP1) installed as a slave only and not as a main workstation. I reinstalled vrayRT and BB worked fine. Note that its buckets on my workstation that stick when I render with DR, not the slave.

I'll try another DR render today and let you know how it goes, plus will try and get you a copy of the scene to test if you still want one.
                Attached Files
                www.peterguthrie.net
                www.peterguthrie.net/blog/
                www.pg-skies.net/

Comment

I have stripped the scene down and removed the HDR and it still hangs on certain buckets. Vlado, do you want me to send it to vlado@chaosgroup.com (its approx 9mb zipped)
                  www.peterguthrie.net
                  www.pg-skies.net/

Comment

FYI I never had any problems with this scene back with sp2, now it crashes almost every time.
                    www.peterguthrie.net
                    www.pg-skies.net/

Comment

You have environment fog in this scene with a mesh gizmo, which is the reason for the stuck buckets in your case. I've already corrected this for the next update (of course, in SP2 there wasn't environment fog).

Best regards,
                      Vlado

Comment

Thanks Vlado!
                        www.peterguthrie.net
                        www.pg-skies.net/

Comment

i have 4 machines over here rendering a image with DR actived. One of them usualy freeze one last bucket without reazon. Vray sp4 and max 2009.
                          any tip to solve the problem?
                          when i am waiting and look at the problem i jut cut the vrayspawner from the especific machine and then another one assumes it and finish the calcule pass but with i send a night render, it can take forever and cant finish the prepass render to start the final render.
                          thanks in advance for any help.
                          natal - brazil

Comment

If you are using Windows Vista, there is something you can do to help me find out the problem (this doesn't work on Windows XP though):

*) On render slave with the stuck bucket, open the Task Manager, right-click the 3dsmax.exe process and select "Create Dump File"

*) Do the same on the client machine.

Send me the two .DMP files - they will tell me what V-Ray is doing at that point.

Best regards,
                            Vlado

Comment

unfortunately im not over windows vista Vlado, xp 64 . Something else to do about it?
                              natal - brazil

Comment

Working...
                              X