No announcement yet.

Stuck Buckets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The stuck bucket thing is something I run into quite a bit with transparent/refractive materials. It's usually around areas of reasonable complexity (like threaded necks on bottles - places where things reflect/refract several times over). Occasionally files get stuck for extreme periods on a few buckets in those areas and even lowering trace depth doesn't seem to help.

I have one on the go now and would love to know what exactly is causing it so I can avoid it in future. The last few buckets too probably twice the time it took to render everything else.

I will post the scene but the .DMP file I generated from the client box is going to be several hundred MB even compressed. Do you want it uploaded anyway?

/b
    Brett Simms

www.heavyartillery.com
    e: brett@heavyartillery.com

Comment

Yep, it will be very useful.

Best regards,
      Vlado
      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Getting this problem too.

Lots of glass/ice & reflective materials, one bucket refuses to finish. Have ended up retouching it, but we're going to be rendering an animation with the same file soon & it's starting to make me sweat!
        MDI Digital
        moonjam

Comment

I will be rendering the current problematic file next week too, I know the feeling . Any chance to look into it yet Vlado?
          Brett Simms

www.heavyartillery.com

Comment

Im having a similar problem with 2.0. I have a DR render machine that just sits on certain buckets whereas my main workstation is zipping through the buckets really quickly...very strange. The buckets being calculated by the DR machine isnt any different from what the main machine is doing.
            Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

Not sure if Steve's problem is the same, but I'm noticing that the glass/refractive bucket problem is pretty resolution independent too. I fired off test render at 100pix high and after 8 minutes it is still cooking away on the second (of two) buckets.

My feeling is it's something in the material, but not sure what to do about it.

b
              Brett Simms

www.heavyartillery.com

Comment

Hi Vlado - any progress on this one? I'm playing around with a different image and am getting stuck buckets again. This time no glass, but some of the same metal that was in that last scene. Wondering if there is something going on with that material that might be giving Vray some issues?

I have to kill this one, it's been a few hours and the buckets have hardly moved, it's going to take days at this pace...
                Thanks /b
                Brett Simms

www.heavyartillery.com

Comment

Haven't gotten there yet; is this still on refractive objects? What is your cut-off option of the material? How many bounces?

Best regards,
                  Vlado
                  I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

The cutoff is set to .0001 and the bounces are only at 5/5. In the scene with glass it will be higher, more like 20/20 or even 30/30, however lowering it didn't seem to noticeably affect those buckets.
                    Brett Simms

www.heavyartillery.com

Comment

Working...
                    X