Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reflection in Matte Object (ground plane)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reflection in Matte Object (ground plane)

is there a way to get reflections in an object (ground plane) that has matte in vray properties activated

Backgroundplate, 2 HDRIs for Reflection and IBL ... , a Car on a reflective (wet) ground ...

I want the car being reflected on the ground towards the camera ... a typical Outdoor Car-Shot but with some reflection on the ground

when I use the VRayMtlWrapper for my groundplane, then the plane becomes visible when i turn on reflections

any idea ?
    Last edited by tryharder; 26-10-2009, 10:39 PM.

I think it is Currently a limitation with Vray but just read on the Maya beta forum there was a featured added which solved it.
    It's something i've always wanted from Vray as i don't like to work with multiple passes and shadow catching.
    admin@masteringcgi.com.au

----------------------
    Mastering CGI
    CGSociety Folio
    CREAM Studios
    Mastering V-Ray Thread

Comment

Well if you set the object to be a matte object and assign a reflective material then the reflection will be visible (unless you set Reflection to 0.0 in the vrayproperties of the object). I assume that "getting" visible is due to the environment beeing also reflected. How did you add the 2 HDRIs ? If via Domelight you can exclude the groundplane from the Domelight. If you got it in the environment slot you can add a VRaycolor map set to black to the environment slot of the ground material to override the global one.

Kind Regards,
      Thorsten

Comment

I have put together an example that clearly shows the problem.
        And the result needed at the end, Which for me so far has only been possible by Shadow Catching, ie applying white to everything and trying my best to only reflect the shadows on the ground, Then Comp it in post.

Last edited by grantwarwick; 09-12-2009, 05:45 AM.

----------------------
        Mastering CGI
        CGSociety Folio
        CREAM Studios
        Mastering V-Ray Thread

Comment

I'm not sure your images portray what the OP is asking. He wants the ground (which is matte) to be reflective and have its reflections show up in the render. Presumably without rendering in passes.

BTW killer portfolio you got there. Your quite talented.

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

Oh I see, Sorry, My bad

----------------------
            Mastering CGI
            CGSociety Folio
            CREAM Studios
            Mastering V-Ray Thread

Comment

Working...
            X