VRay2sidedmtl strangeness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VRay2sidedmtl strangeness

As Mats pointed out on my blog, the VRay2sidedmtl doesn't seem to work as one would expect. In the image above (same one attached as well) I don't understand why the back side shows through even though there is no illumination on the back. (I tried with secondary bounces off too - same result). It seems you need to keep the rgb values for the translucency map under about 100 for it to work as (i think) it should.

Any ideas?
    Attached Files
    www.peterguthrie.net
    www.peterguthrie.net/blog/
    www.pg-skies.net/

What is the setup for your material?

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Can post a screengrab (and scene) tomorrow, but its just a vray2sidedmtl with no opacity or refraction in the front & back materials.
      www.peterguthrie.net
      www.pg-skies.net/

Comment

Here are my tests; everything seems to be ok. In the first two images, the light is above the plane; in the third and fourth image, it is below. The front material is green, the back is red, both with a circle for opacity map. A Noise map in turbulence mode is used for the translucency slot.

Best regards,
        Vlado
        Attached Files

Comment

thanks for taking the time to look into it Vlado, I misunderstood how vray2sidedmtl works i think. I assumed it there wouldn't be any translucent effect if there was no light hitting the back side of the material.
          www.peterguthrie.net
          www.pg-skies.net/

Comment

I have to admit that I am having problems with the 2-sided material too. I find it behaves strange if you have 2 different materials for front and back. I am trying to use it for a lamp shade that has 2 different materials on front and back but the back material shines through even if the light inside the lamp isnt switched on. If you turn translucency fully on (white), then the back material becomes the front material and vica versa. When would that ever happen in reality?
            Stefanie

https://renderkitchen.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Drawehn View Post
              When would that ever happen in reality?
              It would probably be something like frosted glass, where most of the light still goes through the material, but comes out scattered on the other side.

Best regards,
              Vlado

Comment

So is it just a case of being careful with the translucency values? In my test above I found that rgb values of approx 0-100 work OK for things like leaves and paper.
                www.peterguthrie.net
                www.pg-skies.net/

Comment

Yep, I suppose such values make sense.

Best regards,
                  Vlado

Comment

Working...
                  X