Vray sending IRmaps to some slaves more slowly than others

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray sending IRmaps to some slaves more slowly than others

I'm having a very odd issue with DR lately. After sending a job to the slaves, I noticed that only workstations in my network workgroup seem to participate. Slaves in the "slaves" workgroup were actually loading the scene, but would never get to the raytracing, and the CPUs all stay around 50%. Then I started rendering with the message box open, and what I see happening is just as the rendering is almost complete, the IRmap is being sent slowly to the other slaves in the "slaves" workgroup. So, maybe 1 or 2 slaves will jump in right at the end. But mostly they are just useless.

The odd thing is that this is only a very recent phenomenon. This wasn't happening a week ago. I probably still need to do a little more testing, but I'm going to be slammed here shortly and figured by posting this, I might be able to come to a solution faster.

All machines are running SP3a. Workstations are all running Vista 64. Slaves are all running XP 64. Also, I tried switching a slave from the "slave" workgroup to the "workstation" workgroup and it made no difference at all.

Would installing SP4 throughout help out?? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    John Pruden
    Digital-X

www.digitalxmodels.com
    3D Model Marketplace

how big is the file your rendering?
    There was some improvement in the way VRay handles large scene DR in SP4 so it might be worth trying that
    Chris Jackson
    Shiftmedia
    www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

yeah... I wish it was that easy. Filesize/Poly counts don't seem to matter though. I THINK it's more along the lines of some networking thing... but I'm not sure if Vray is depending on the network communication, or if Vray is just lagging in sending the info to those other slaves. According to the message box, it looks like the latter because as soon as Vray reports sending the IRmap data to the slaves, they start participating.

Vlado... does Vray have some communication going on with all slaves at the same time? Might Vray be TRYING to send the info at the same time as the workstation machines, but can't get through right away?

Thanks,
      John Pruden
      Digital-X

www.digitalxmodels.com
      3D Model Marketplace

Comment

Do the slaves or the workstation have any other network communication going? Other than transferring the irradiance map, V-Ray does not do much else.

Best regards,
        Vlado
        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Working...
        X