Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shadows

Hi-

I can't seem to figure out why I am not getting any shadows under my roof. The geometry is correct. I did get the model from and architect who uses Revit, but I modeled the roof in MAX again and still no shadows.

http://design-construction-technolog...11-23%20AM.png

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Bobby Parker
    www.bobby-parker.com
    e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
    phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
    • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
    • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
    • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
    • ​Windows 11 Pro

Looks like it's getting shadows to me. It's just that it's also getting a lot of bounced light too because of the white material.
    www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

have you checked if the geometry is correct, are those faces' normals pointing in the right direction?

Comment

geometry is good. I can see how the material would work against me. I have a material assigned to everything, but I am using a material override. My plans are to bring this into Piranesi. This work flow allows me to have a light canvas that I can paint on; yet I get to lock to materials. It is pretty cool... the grass even comes over to Piranesi just like you see it.
        Bobby Parker
        www.bobby-parker.com
        e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
        phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
        • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
        • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
        • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
        • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by glorybound View Post
          Hi-

I can't seem to figure out why I am not getting any shadows under my roof. The geometry is correct. I did get the model from and architect who uses Revit, but I modeled the roof in MAX again and still no shadows.
          Originally posted by glorybound View Post

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

What is your white material value???

I would use something like 190 as this will give you a much better result. If your white values are well above this then the light that bounces off during GI calculations will be too bright, creating an overbright unrealistic GI.
          I know 180 is not white... but you just need to adjust the camera exposure untill you get it as close to white as you need.
          The end result will still look white but the GI is actually bouncing around using the 180 value which will be faster & more defined.

The theory behind all this is that the most reflective [GI] substance we see commonly is SNOW & it only bounces 80% of the light that hits it. [White paint estimate 70%]
          So 70% of White [Value - 255] is about 178

Just remember that your image appears darker at first, so adjust the exposure on your cam until you get the brightness you need

Hope this helps
          Last edited by 3DMK; 22-01-2010, 01:00 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

There seems to be shadow, but the bounces of the white material and the low GI settings seem to minimize it.

Comment

Working...
            X