No announcement yet.

EXR needing Gamma Adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was always confused with the gamma too but it looks like I just found my workflow!!

If you set MAX Gamma LUT settings as:
    Gamma correction active
    Affect colours and material editor ticked
    Input Gamma 2.2
    Output gamma 1.0

In the Vray colour mapping you set gamma 2.2 as well and (important) tick Don't affect colours (adaptation only)

Then you render with Vray frame buffer and keep (important) the sRGB button ticked for correct display. If you then save out a 32bit floating point image, it opens correctly in Photoshop (at least it does here).
    However 8 bit images will display too dark in Photoshop with this workflow.

Hope that helps.
    Stefanie

https://renderkitchen.com/

Comment

yes correct Stefanie. To get the jpg also correct when saving from vfb, just override the gamma when saving to jpg as 2.2. (it's in the save as window). Then the jpg will also be "correct"
      Kind Regards,
      Morne

Comment

Hi,

Wht's up about the Autogamma plugin to correct simple VrayMtl - flat colors? we have to apply the color correct to diffuse channel (or check the "Linear wokflow" in color mapping that is the same i think -but setting then Input of textures to 1.0 not to correct twice-) or the colors are corrected when we check "Affect colors" and "affect material editor" in preferences?

I'm confused because of this, said by plugin author: "Max gives you the option to do this you can set bitmap input to 2.2 in the gamma preferences BUT Max will not apply a gamma correction to a flat colour e.g. a red colour swatch with no bitmap on it."

I want to share an schematic guide of LWF to C&C but have this doubt though....
        Last edited by peprgb; 13-08-2010, 07:04 PM.

Comment

I donĀ“t see the point in using the autogamma plugin because if I turn on "Affect Color Selectors" and "Affect Material Editor" in LUT preferences thats all what I need.

Regards
          BLADE

Comment

I thought the same but apparently is not enough, this is for viewing only

Comment

Working...
            X