Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Low thread priority(anyone found a workaround yet?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low thread priority(anyone found a workaround yet?)

I know this was discussed before last year, but I was wondering if anyone has found a fix or workaround for this yet. When rendering anything, My comp is pretty much useless.

Ive got low thread priority ticked and I set the priority in the windows task manager to below normal.i also created that script in Ken Pinmental's blog, which doesn't help either

Like I said, I know this has been discussed before, I was just hoping that maybe someone found a workaround.

Thanks for any input

-B
    www.billa1.com

that's weird, I always render in low priority and I can work on whatever I like with any other application in the meantime. well, if I have spared memory that is. when you star running out of memory things get quite difficult to manage, but that's hardly vray's fault.

Comment

What I do is set the 3ds max process affinity to not use 1 or 2 processors so I can use the computer.

Comment

Thank you Robert, that helped

@rivoli, This has only started happening to me in max 2010

-B
        www.billa1.com

Comment

I noticed this with Max 2010 too. I can work with other applications but
          everything is somehow slower.
          Jozef
          www.cad-vizualizacie.sk

Comment

I'm on 2010 as well since a few months now, and I must admit I never noticed any particular slow down. never had to change max's affinity either, low thread priority seems to work as it's supposed to here.

Comment

I work in max 2010 x64 and low thread works fine in both vray and windows.
              Dmitry Vinnik
              Silhouette Images Inc.
              ShowReel:
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
              https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

i use max 2010 x64 and low thread priority has no effect. while the light cache is calculating my machine is totally unresponsive, to the point where it cant even update the screen properly.
                changing the affinity makes a big difference, but i use max2009 whenever i can as it works flawlessly.
                Nat Saiger
                Portfolio

Comment

Just out of curiosity, what is everyone's OS, that replied to this thread, I was just wondering if certain OS's had a certain effect. Im running XP x64

Also thanks for all the feedback

-B
                  www.billa1.com

Comment

Low priority no problem here, Max 2010 64bit on XP 64

I also use my network low priority script to make sure that backburner and vray service always run low priority as well.

http://www.anthonymclin.com/code/3d-...r-low-priority

Comment

That's really weird that it effects some machines and not others

-B
                      www.billa1.com

Comment

I'm also on xp 64, vray 1.5 sp4

Comment

for me this isnt max/vray specific, but started when i switched to a single cpu i7. So i suspect it might be a hyperthreading issue ?

Regards,
                          Thorsten

Comment

I'm still using my Q6600 Quad-core
                            www.billa1.com

Comment

im using max 2010 x64 on XP64 SP2. Q6600 with hyperthreading off.
                              this problem only appeared with max 2010. max 2009 x64 is fine.
                              Nat Saiger
                              Portfolio

Comment

Working...
                              X