Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting Correct Depth Pass from VrayEnvironmentFog

Hello all,
    I'm a bit of a beginner to VRay (mostly Brazil and MR in past) and have enjoyed my experiences thus far. One thing that I've been running into is that I can't get a proper depth pass from EnvironmentFog. Regardless of what range I set it always appears at full intensity (closest to the camera). Attached image showing issue. Is VRay capable of providing a proper depth pass for fog? If not, is there a known work-around? Accurate depth passes are critical for a VFX shot I'm working on now. Thanks!
    Attached Files

There is no "correct" depth-pass for participating media. As a single pixel you look at has contributions from many different depths along the camera ray. Unless you can create some deepPixel data that is.

Regards,
    Thorsten

Comment

Thanks for the response Thorsten. With FumeFX, which operates on similar volumetric principles as EnvironmentFog, a depth pass is possible (see attached for crude example). It relies on the depth information and the alpha channel of that depth pass to give decent results. I was hoping for something along these lines if VRay was unable to do it in a single render.

Click image for larger version

Name:	sl_fume-depth_01.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	842791

Comment

Working...
      X