No announcement yet.

Light leaks and GI quality issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

doing some tests according to your suggestions in comparison with solidrocks and blend of those two setups....will post soon
    teabag studios

www.teabagstudios.com

Comment

hello all, yet again

here are the settings...everyone i think can figure from them whatever is necessary.
      it is evident that the high global multiplier and the high minimum subdivs in solidrock preset DOES NOT have influence on the rendertime...
      ...what influences rendertime is "stoore direct light" option in LC rollout and quality of the IM.
      When i went to more advanced setup of SR plugin, i could raise the IM properties and the result is much beter and still render faster than setups with 1 global multiplier and 24 minimum subdivs.
      Please correct me if i am wrong.
      Solidrocks settings are NOT whack by far in my opinion, the interior setting preset just need to be finetuned for better details if there are delicate details present in the scene.

teabag studios

www.teabagstudios.com

Comment

and here is the link with the interior stripped down .... if you want to give it a go form the same camera

http://rapidshare.com/files/34876682...scene.zip.html

thanks for the help guys
        teabag studios

www.teabagstudios.com

Comment

the settings were in now way optimal for rendering.. have you sorted the light leaks etc... that was why i suggested those settings...

Comment

xxxxxxxxxxxxx
            Martin
            http://www.pixelbox.cz

Comment

most of the leaks have gone now..using the SR optimization with slightly tweaked IM, as that allows me to render it faster.

BTW...can someone explain why unchecking "store direct light" in LC produces darker image?

Also ...what produces more precise render? store direct light checked or unchecked?

Is it ok to compensate for this darker image just by raising the camera exposure?

thanks

Martin
              teabag studios

www.teabagstudios.com

Comment

Hi teabag

It appears you took exception to some of my comments. Apologies if I upset you....I can be a bit abrupt sometimes

I am not against preset plugins in general, they are obviously invaluable to some people.
                I am aware however of the fact that they don't cater to all situations & there will always be a problem you just can't solve unless you understand the theory better.
                Most users of this forum would rather have a complete & in-depth understanding of Vray than a copy of sold rocks plugin & I can guarantee that the best Vray images you see are done by people with knowledge, not plugins

If you have the VRAY 'complete guild' BOOK & you read it as you said then I can't see the need for using the SR plugin...??.everything you need to know is in the book & that knowledge is far more valuable than any plugin.

[QUOTE=teabag;420887]3DMK:

i am after constructive help....not after patronizing comments saying thorw away plugins and learn vray...sorry to say this but i could not help it

I am sorry this came across patronizing....I was sincerely trying to be constructive saying that....[.even if i sounded like a Ass]

All the best

Comment

[QUOTE=teabag;420961]most of the leaks have gone now..using the SR optimization with slightly tweaked IM, as that allows me to render it faster.

BTW...can someone explain why unchecking "store direct light" in LC produces darker image?

Because the lights are now casting shadows.

Also ...what produces more precise render? store direct light checked or unchecked?

Unchecked will be more precise as the lights will cast direct light & shadows & affect Speculars rather than just affect & get stored with GI

Is it ok to compensate for this darker image just by raising the camera exposure?

YES

Cheers

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for explaining this!

i ve been setting up vray myself for years, when i realized that for the most frequent situation and types of projects i am using similar setups....they worked well, although sometimes they were a bit overkill. When i found SR, that plugin simply automated the whole process of setting up vray....and believe it or not.....it really is very helpfull and quick and produces nice results....the only problem i ve had was with this scene...because this one requires slightly more complicated approach when picking up the delicate details.
                    Trust me, i ve been using vray since it came to life....form early free versions, through all the builds to the version we all use now...but with all the work, chaos and hectic deadlines, it is hard to find out time to go too deep into vrays core.
                    Its actually things like these leaks, spothes, patches and errors that are the best way of learning for me.
                    From what i ve seen on the forum, the best stuff was made usually by using BF/LC or BF alone...which r far more easy to setum thatn IM/LC...which we all use to do the job done quickl, though nicely.
                    Maybe if you gave SR a try, you woudl understand what i mean by all this.

Martin
                    teabag studios

www.teabagstudios.com

Comment

hi teabag, i downloaded your file, max2010?, i have max2009, what is your value of shadow bias on your vray sun?, recently i've got the same leaking problem, it was at start at 0.2m so i drereased at 0.002m, that did the trick.

hope it helps
                      ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Arch Pedro A. Solano
                      "Save the irradiance map, save the render"
                      Vray 3.10.03|3DMax 2011 x64|Intel Core i7-2600 CPU @3.4GHz|16GB Ram|Windows 7 Ultimate SP1
                      Follow us on facebook
                      Visit us on PSolano

Comment

hello oligophant!
                        the scene is in centimeters and the shadow bias is 0.2 as well...which is 2mm......which in FACT....might not be enough for this kind of detail.....will try your suggestion!

THANKS!
                        teabag studios

www.teabagstudios.com

Comment

Working...
                        X