Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vrayedgestex bumpmap (again)

Hi,

trying to use the vrayedgestex-map as a bumpmap and cant get the result I want. Ive read lots of threads on the forum but havent found the answer yet so here we go.

Take a look at the pics. The map (vray comptex) used is the same in both pics, but in the first it is a diffusemap, and in the second its a bumpmap.

Why is the bump only applied on the objects outline and not along all edges???

Ive also tried to use it as a vraydisplacementmap, but with more or less the same result...

What am I doing wrong?
    /k
    Attached Files

i think nothing is wrong.
    It's an expected behavior, since this map is to simulate Bevel on Hard edges.

If you want that all edges are like bevel, mybe you need to explode your mesh face per face.
    But you can also create a map in photoshop( a white square with black border ) and map this one as un bump map with a FACE coordinate UV.

Hope this helps
    GHiOM = Guillaume Gaillard
    freelance 3D artist
    www.ghiom.com

Comment

Ok, so vray handles the map completely different depending on where its put? (if used as a diffusemap, all edges will be used for the effect, and if used as a bumpmap only the objects "outline" is considered.

I think this is wrong - (or maybe not wrong - im sure it was made this way because thats what people wanted) - but shouldnt the "bevel hard edges" be a maptype of its own? Then the vrayedgestex could have the same effect in both diffuse and bump slots. Would make alot more sense to me, (but maybe Im the only one?)

Ill try to use your technique with facemapping - it should work!

thanks
      k

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Comptex+edgetex.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	851612That crazy, because I face the opposite problem.
        I do not want the inner edges to be visible but I can't.
        As soon as you used a second comptex on top of the first one, edgetex will use the inner edge too unfortunatly.

Originally posted by skogskalle View Post
        Ok, so vray handles the map completely different depending on where its put? (if used as a diffusemap, all edges will be used for the effect, and if used as a bumpmap only the objects "outline" is considered.

I think this is wrong - (or maybe not wrong - im sure it was made this way because thats what people wanted) - but shouldnt the "bevel hard edges" be a maptype of its own? Then the vrayedgestex could have the same effect in both diffuse and bump slots. Would make alot more sense to me, (but maybe Im the only one?)

thanks
        k

Comment

Originally posted by skogskalle View Post

thanks
          k
          VrayEdgesTex works differently in Bump slot that's true.
          Here is one solution which could be useful in this scenario:

Name:	2014-03-24 16_44_30-V-Ray frame buffer - [100% of 640 x 480].png
Size:	203.3 KB
ID:	851631

Scene>>vray-edges-texture.zip
          Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
          Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

Originally posted by fraggle View Post
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]18784[/ATTACH]That crazy, because I face the opposite problem.
            I do not want the inner edges to be visible but I can't.
            As soon as you used a second comptex on top of the first one, edgetex will use the inner edge too unfortunatly.

VrayEdgexTex takes into account invisible-edges. If you want to remove edges from VrayEdgeTex, convert object to Editable Mesh, select the edges you want to remove, and click invisible button from Surface Properties.

Name:	2014-03-24 16_55_55-vray-edges-texture-custom-edges.max - Autodesk 3ds Max  2014 x64  - Not for .png
Size:	349.1 KB
ID:	851634

Comment

Thanks for the work around, but depending on the model, it can be very time consuming!
              Any other way of getting bump effect only on outer edges that can be used in heavy geometry ?

Comment

Would it be possible to send us example scene in order to understand better what exactly is the issue?

Comment

Working...
                X