Some help with SSS 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some help with SSS 2

I've always avoided doing anything with skin because I never really like how it works in CG, but now (of course) I have a rush job that needs a skin like material and I'm having issues.

I'm having some trouble trying to figure out how to get some slightly better SSS 2 settings. See below - this is the SSS2 render element and the current beauty pass. It needs work, but I'd like to see more of the SSS at the edges and less in the middle - more in keeping with the actual depth of the thing (don't even ask what it is - long story, and I can't really say anyway ) It just feels to even right now, and the SSS2 render element looks a mess.

Also attached my parameters. I've been messing with it for hours and I am not at all sure where to even go from here. Any suggestions about which parameters to adjust and how?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice
    Attached Files
    Brett Simms

www.heavyartillery.com
    e: brett@heavyartillery.com

Try setting the "Single scatter" parameter to one of the raytracing modes. You also need higher prepass rate (zero is a good start).

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Thanks Vlado. It's still not quite what I had in mind but its getting there and the rest I think I'll cheat in Photoshop for now

b
      Brett Simms

www.heavyartillery.com

Comment

vray fast sss2 is extremely painful to work with...
        Dmitry Vinnik
        Silhouette Images Inc.
        ShowReel:
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
        https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

I thought maybe it was just me. I'm guessing the *renders* are the 'fast' part

I can appreciate that this is actually a simpler SSS mat than some, but until RT supports SSS it's a rough ride trying to suss out what does what.

b
          Brett Simms

www.heavyartillery.com

Comment

Like most things, it's a matter of getting the hang of it, I suppose; SSS is not an intuitive concept, unfortunately. Support for this in V-Ray RT will be added soon I hope.

Best regards,
            Vlado
            I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

hey Brett,

it's funny i asked you about a few weeks ago, and there you go ... doing the things you like best : Skin . i'm currently working on a project involving skin but unfortunatly i cannot post anything right now and it's quite a pain in the @$$ to find the right settting i want. But for some part i'm getting there :P.

Have you tried increasing the scale of your shader ?

WALEE / www.walee.com

Comment

I was going to pm you so you could laugh at my expense Fortunately I only needed a small area of skin. It worked out okay but I did a lot in Photoshop too. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with though.
                b
                Brett Simms

www.heavyartillery.com

Comment

hehehe i'm doing a lot in post in photoshop since its a still image : and i guess it's better that way or i would go crazy especially as i'm rendering a 7k wide.

WALEE / www.walee.com

Comment

Working...
                  X